Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp setting for acoustic set?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kitcar765, Feb 8, 2006.

1. im going to play an acoustic set with me on electric bass and a girl on electro acoustic guitar and a singer, what "sound" would best suit this situation? i recon it would be plenty of bass and mid and no high at low volume? am i correct?

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i would think it would depend on the equipment, i hate mids, so i would boost the bass and bring the high just under it. The point would be to make it sound nice and warm.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i am intersted in some real life experience in this too.

in my experience, whenever i play "quieter", and especially if i am playing alongside unamplified acoustics, i like to accentuate the LOW LOWs, and cut back on the freqs of the acoustic (msotly highs ime).

seems the louder i play, the more i focus on CUT through, and the less lows i welcome.

i guess it could be more so that when playing low volume i am less likely to fight boominess, wheras playing louder, depending on the room, it COULD be more of an issue.

i await those with more experience with this, or especially those who do it for a living.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    In my experience, I would go for basically what has been recommended thus far - probably more lows than you normally use, to give sort of a pillow for the guitarist to sit on. Highs are probably not so good in this situation, but it depends on taste.

I mean, for me, the whole change of an electric set to an acoustic basically means turning my blend knob more towards the neck pickup and plucking nearer to the neck. I don't do wholesale eq changes, really - a little tweak with eq goes a long way. For me, keeping a sort of basic tone and changing the fine points of tone with mostly my hands works best.

5. thanks for the advise, the low lows sound about right to me cheers

6. Yeah I would cut off some of the high mids but leave the actual highs flat, then roll of the tone on my passive bass and really dig in to get a nice thuddy funky tone that is still quite reserved. Just my opinion though :)