amp setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davo737, Aug 25, 2000.

1. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Just out of curiosity, do more of you prefer to adjust the bass/mid/treble settings on the head, the bass itself, or a little of both? Thanks.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Amp flat. Stingray flat fiddle with switch. I change the Warwick treble and bass a lot.

If its a loud gig I boosts the mids after an excellent post by Matthius (credit where due)

3. BigAlex

Jun 12, 2000
    Ive got a WM 4004 which as you may know has quite extensive EQ options so for me I generally set my bass (SR 400) at neutral settings and then fiddle with the amp. For slap I put the real low and real high up all the way and cut the mid and for jazz i set is pretty much neutral sometimes w/ a little more treble
  4. I tend ot just want to leave both amp and bass set flat. but since I play a Fender Precision, any tone shaping I do has to pretty much be done on the amp.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I play a Stingray 5 with 3-band EQ an use to do it this way:
    IMHO this bass sounds best with the bass slightly boosted, mids flat, treble flat. So this is the signal wich I send to the PA to have the best sound out front and on recordings. The EQ of my amp is used to adapt to different room acoustics and to help my 215 cab to cut through the band mix a little better (sometimes I wish I had a different kind of cab, but I'm perfectly happy when we play open air :D).

And because I don't want to get confused with different sounds and EQ-settings, I also do it this way, when the bass is not run over a PA.

Chris: thanks for the credit (*flushing*)

6. I leave one setting on the amp and then I change the settings on my bass for different songs. My bass has a 3-band EQ and my head has a 10-band EQ =)

7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Ah yes, Willz has a good point here, I forgot to mention this as I use only one sound for all songs (sometimes two by switching between series and parallel wiring of the PU).
    So to summarize:
    Use the EQ on the bass to create the bass sound you actually like.
    Use the EQ on your amp to make it heard best as possible.
    Hope this makes sense.

8. For rockin out jams, all knobs on the bass full on. I turn down the Tone on my bass to about 2 for an older, definitely in the background, thuddier sound.

On my old tube amps, Bass at 1 O'clock, Treble at 11 O'clock. If there is a middle control, I usually end up with it around 11 O'clock. On the above controls, 12 O'clock is flat. So on an EQ, it would look like a hump in the lows, and pretty flat in the middle and treble that rolled off near the end.

9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Maybe I should mention two further points:

1. There is another approach on how to achieve your sound too:
    I said that I use the amp only for reproducing the sound of my bass.
    Many tube amp users won't agree here (I guess), because for them the amp makes a very important contribution to the bass sound too.

2. With high quality gear you will not need much EQing at all.

Just my 2 cents
  10. SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    On my Crate head, I raise all the EQ slides up, about 3/4 way up, and then I scoop out the Mids a -teeny- bit. I also put the contour knob all the way up as well as the gain knob, before I even touch the volume. For my Spector bass, I put all knobs on full blast, and sometimes back off the bridge pickup. On my Ibanez 5, I crank the bridge, and roll off the neck pickup to a large degree, for that Jaco-finger-funk tone. On my P-basses, I turn all the volumes up and back the tone off a little bit. Arnt you bursting with Fruit flavor now?
  11. mr t

mr t

Aug 24, 2000
    manhattan, ks
    bass usually set flat--i might pan between picups a bit or boost or cut the mids. almost always, the amp sounds great flat (probably because the bass sounds so good). the only adjustment i need to make on the amp is to control boominess once in a while. it should be important to note that technique is where one can make real tone changes. fiddling around with amps is a less than ideal way to get sounds in my opinion.