Amp settings for different genres of music

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexs0628, Feb 9, 2005.

1. alexs0628

Feb 8, 2005
    Are there any recommended settings for the amp for rock, jazz or blues music? I'm new to the bass and I'm not sure where to set the dials on the amp to match the style of music. I have a Hartke B300. It has a bass, mid and high(?) dial. (For example, less bass and more mid on jazz?) Any suggestions to help me would be greatly appreciated.
  2. I have a Hartke B20 for my practice amp in my dorm room. I usually have the bass and the mids at "+3" and the treble straight up. This seems like a sound that would be appropriate for all genres, though I suppose for some things you might turn down the mids a bit and perhaps boost the treble slightly. I think that would be a good idea for jazz. Then again, I use the series/parallel switch on my bass more than I actually adjust EQ. Still, the basic setting I suggested should get you pretty close to a good tone for anything.

- Brandt Scanlan
  3. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    when dealing with tone i always look to the other instruments and the band and then go from there. if it's real high gain distortion (mesa's or marshalls) i'd typically recommend bumping the mids and maybe cut some lows and his to cut through better. the band i play in is a four piece with a medium gain orange and an accoustic piano ( i think my tone compliments them pretty well. for jazz and blues i'd typically say that you're not gonna be competing as much with the low frequencies like in rock, lay back on the mids a little (especially for blues), just go for a deep warm sound (somewhat happy face), dont lose too many mids or you wont be heard. just try to blend it well with the guitar and kick drum and in heavy rock dont be afraid of the mids. fwiw
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    generally as little eq as possible is the way to go. as you have a simple eq circuit you can experiment with some mild boosts and cuts to see how they sound.