Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp settings: Getting the midrangy, vocal sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by btrag, Jun 16, 2005.

1. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, I know this point has been be-laboured. And, I know the general idea "CRANK THE MIDS!" But no matter how much I tweak the mid contour, I end up with an overpowering "nasal" sound in the midrange. Like a low-midrange drone. What I'm looking for is a vocal-like expressive tone. Here's what I'm working with:
    P-Bass
    15' old EVM speaker
    Ampeg solid-state head with:
    5 band EQ (40hz,160hz,600hz,2khz,etc)
    Seperate low,mid,high contour knobs.
    AND a midrange setting dial (from 300hz to 600hz), to set the frequency that the mid contour will boost.

To be more precise, I'd love to acheive the tone that Geddy Lee got on Moving Pictures. The tweaking just doesn't work. I've tried adjusting the height of the P-Bass pickups, raising them in the middle near the A and D strings. What needs to happen to get the tone I'm looking for?

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    We'll probably get better responses if we move this thread to the Amps forum.........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

3. If your finding it too nasal sounding maybe you are cranking the mids too much

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st off, go click on the FAQ sticky on the top of the amps forum, and click on the link to the eq thread to give you a start.

next, if you want the geddy lee moving pictures sound you'll need a fender jazz bass, probably a 1972, and then you'll need to get paul northfield to run your signal thru a neve board. (paul was the engineer on MP) he split geddys signal into highs and lows, ran each signal thru a seperate compressor, and then blended them together with seperate faders. I forget what amp(s) were being used, but you can bet they were pretty overdriven.