amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassistjedi, May 18, 2001.

1. I have a problem with my amp peaking easily at low settings. I have an Epiphone Regent 50 Bass amp. My gain is set at about 3 and volume at 7. My bass is generally set on 8. Is there a problem with my amp or do I have my settings set up wrong? Is it better to have the amp set low and bass cranked or bass set low and amp cranked. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Uh, TalkBass has this really neat forum, perhaps you've heard of it. It's called "AMPS" and they discuss...well, AMPS!

And that's where this thread is going now!
  3. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    As is my understanding, riding your bass, mid an treble very high can lead to premature distortion (especially bass)...try cutting back on it (to their "0" mark)...crank your amp and see if it makes the difference.
  4. tomtrb

Apr 17, 2001
    Hey Jedi,
    Im no expert but Ill tell you what I know. Generally, a hotter signal is a better signal (sound quality) so you should always turn the volume on your bass to max. Also, you should push your peamp, not your power amp, so turn your gain on your amp up as high as you can without distortion, then set your volume after that. Your "gain" control is your preamp section, and your "volume" is your power amp section. A preamp is designed to "match" the level of an input, and this basically means driving the signal as hot as you can without distorting. Im not familiar with your amp so I cant specify on your problem, but these are just general rules to follow. By turning your gain up, and your volume only as loud as you need, you will be using your amp more efficiently.
  5. Thanx for the info. It seems to have worked out nicely but I have only tried one of my basses and not hte other. There shouldn't be that much difference but who knows?