Amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WildBill, Jul 27, 2002.

1. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    What do you set your Lows Lo mids Highs and Hi mids to?
  2. I keep it flat most of the time. Sometimes I'll play around just for the fun of it, but mostly it's fine just the way it is.
  3. Last weekend went to a bass and drums workshop which was great as music has been put very much on the back-burner for the last year while I concentrated on passing some big nasty exams (results were all good, so well worth the temporary sacrifice :)). One of the tutors there emphasised the importance of minimising EQ use. Set everything flat, and then starting at the bass, get the best sound you can using pick-up combinations first and then tone controls. Then, if you still can't quite get what you're after start using the amp controls in moderation. One particular trap is to use the EQ to boost the bass too much, which can completely suck your headroom. The other point he made was to try to get the rig to sound good from at least 6ft away (preferably more), as that is more like what everyone else is going to hear.

I've always tended to use the suggested "Rock" setting on my SWR 350 (Aural Enhancer, Bass and 200Hz Mid all at about 2 o'clock with flat treble). I went home, reset to flat and started fresh. I now use a little bit off bass boost and treble cut off my Thumb 5 (I also had a play with it's internal trimpot) and the Aural Enhancer at 12 o'clock, with everything else flat. It sounds great, and I've got about twice as much headroom as I did before! :D

Obviously, you may need a bit more EQ, and different venues may require some "room EQing", but my advice would be to start simple and be prepared not to use it.

Good luck,