Amp Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott C, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Scott C

Scott C

Mar 30, 2017
    New York
    i have a Carvin BX 1500 and a Hartke 410 Hydrive cab. I always used a combo amp but wanted something better. Anyway, I had pumped up the volume a bit and the sound died for about 5 seconds then came back. There was a slight smell but the head didn't get hot and the fan was running. I turned it off right away! I know nothing about ohms and impedience, I'm using speakon 14 awg cable (don't know if that matters) but it's plugged into a 4ohm min bridged channel to a 8ohm 1000 watt cab!
    What am I doing wrong? Thank You!

2. From the owner's manual:
    "The BX Series Bass Amplifier Heads offer classic natural bass tone with unprecedented tonal control and extended headroom. The BX1500 “dual” mono block amplifier delivers 2x300w at 8ohms, 2x450w at 4ohms, and 2x750w at 2ohms. Bridge mode allows both amps to drive one output for 900w at 8 ohms and 1500w at 4 ohms."
    900 watts into a 1000 watt rated cabinet should be alright (albeit loud AF.) However if you turned everything all the way up and played an E chord with all your strength, all bets are off.
    Not a comprehensive analysis, but just for starters:
    If you turn the amp drive to a low figure and the gain down to zero and turn the amp on, is it working (does the light come on)? If it is, then turn the gain up (after turning up the bass guitar) a little and listen; do you hear anything?
    If you hear a clear bass guitar note, you probably didn't damage anything.
    If you need volume run 2 cabinets, another just like yours in addition.
    Read the manual from front to back as soon as possible (the acronym for this is RTFM).
    The slight smell would worry me, too, but the sound returning after 5 seconds is a good sign.
    I think you could also damage your hearing permanently if you are really pushing the amp and cabinet(s), that is, playing hard and loud. The peaks in wattage and volume in the attack of a note when you play can exceed both the speaker's rms (and peak wattage) rating and your safe hearing level.
    Take good care of yourself. Try to get some advice from a knowledgeable friend or acquaintance about your areas of ignorance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Scott C likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022