Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp setup for <1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by suasa, Nov 9, 2003.

1. hey everyone i am lookin for a new amp setup. i dont want a combo. i was thinkin of gettin something to hook up to a avatar 2x12 and mabey in a year or so addein a 2x10 or something of the sort anyway i only have 1000 dollars canadian for the 2x12 and the amp so i need suggestions i would go look my slef but i dont even know what i need since i have never had a setup like this. so if someone could explain to me about ohms and what not anything about amps because i dont know anything. anyway help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    shayne

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    How about the new Yorkville XS400H? I hear it's a versatile and toneful beast, plus really LOUD. L&M has them for i think $650 canadian (not sure).

3. Yeah you could get that and a 210, for under 1000, or you could get the combo for under a grand too.Maybe even the head and a 115 for under a grand.

4. thanks i am lookin at the yorkville anyone got any more suggestions or info on amps?

5. bumpedy bump

6. bump anyone pls

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Guess nobody has any more suggestions. :D

Rock on with a Yorkville. :bassist:

(and don't forget to post a review of it) ;)

8. alright anyone got any sugestions on diff cabs for cheap since the yorkville only puts out 400 watts at 4 ohms i am lookin for a 500-700 watt 2x10 or 2x12 for dirt cheap i guess i should look used or what?
    shayne

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    www.avatarspeakers.com

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Eden WT-400, used Eden D-410XLT, 4 ohm. Doable for $1,000, I believe. You won't have to buy another rig for a long, long time. Maybe ever.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a 500 to 700-watt 210 cab, even from the high-end makers. Most of them are 350 to 400 watts.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    www.avatarspeakers.com/b210.htm

12. i posted a thread like this a while ago...

I ended up with the suggestion of getting the Avatar B2-12 cab with the delta drivers, A carvin DCM 1000 watt power amp, and a peavey max pre amp.

All this can be had for under a grand and you get good power and durability. I'm not sure on the sound yet because i don't own this rig yet but will soon.

although, since i havn't bought all this yet i might go for a sansamp RBI for the pre instead.

13. As Munji suggested, you can get your best value from used equipment. However, this usually requires more time and research than buying new. This can be a good thing, playing through different gear until you find a sound you like, researching through searches here, at Harmony Central and the Bass Gear Review.

OTOH, a nearly new rig that would come close to your price limit would be something like Nick suggested or variations:
    The Avatar speaker you mentioned, the QSC RMX850 ($300 US) and a used preamp (you can find find some pretty good ones used for under $200 US).

14. I vote used too.

Get yourself a preamp/poweramp rack setup. I think for the money, a Peavey max, or maybe the older BBE 363 (?) are doable, and I just saw a 900W (bridged) power amp for $300 over on the for sale forum. That would leave you $500-600 for a really nice 2x12 or 4x10. You should be able to go along way with that.

Bt

15. thanks but now to change the subject a little whats exactly does the preamp do and i i absolutely have to have one probabaly a dumb questoin but like i said earlier in thes thread i know nothing of setting up a rig like this so some info on that would be very helpfull. thanks.
    shayne

16. I am sure he means 1000 canadian, all of the rigs everyone is suggesting is 1000 us, which is mor like 1500 canadian.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you're getting a power amp, then you'll need a preamp with that. It boosts the very weak signal from the bass so that the power amp can amplify it, as well as shapes the tone.

18. To power your speaker cabinet you need either a bass head (combined pre and power amp) or a combination of pre and power amp that you put together. The seperate pieces way generally gets you more power for the same money and allows more flexibility in the future. The modular approach.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hi Shayne!

In a previous post, basstrader made reference to the BBE bass pre-amp. The model of that pre-amp is the 383.

Pre-amp.....I purchased a BBE383 to go with my Crown. I don't regret it at all. It is a great pre-amp, and the BBE customer service is most excellent. You can usually find at least one BBE383 on eBay. I paid $100USD for mine used, which is a fair price.

Power amp......You can get a Crown XLS402 power amp for right around $250USD. They have excellent warranties, and put out alot of power. I love mine.

Cabs....I have never played an Avatar cab, but I haven't heard any legit complaints about them. I bought my Eden 410XLT, and I love it. I think having a 410 is a good idea. You should have plenty of money left for a nice one if you spend your money like I did.

-Mike

20. so far i have gathered that a yorkville xs400h for a power amp and a bbe383 for a preamp and a avatar 2x10 for a cab or a cheap used cab i can find of decent quality. would there be any downs to this rig other than power??