1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Setup ? Help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kenspade, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    I have a peavey 410tvx cab, and a Carvin Probass 500. Im just wanting to get a second reassurance that it will be good to run the 410 through the carvin in bridged, which will feed 500W to the cab(peavey says its a 750rms cab.) so i should be in the clear correct?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can do it, but there's no sense relying on wattage ratings- they're useless. Use your ears. if the cab starts straining or farting, back off the low eq and/or volume right away.

3. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    just realized the amp is 4ohms at 250W and 8ohm at 500W, so being as the peavey 410 tvx is 4ohm is it safe to only run 250 or is that considered underpowering? i played through it with the 250W load and it sounded good, really powerful..... kinda afraid to load double that

4. What? Are you sure you don't have the power rating backwards? Most SS amp output more power at 4 ohm load than 8 ohm load, some derate at 2 ohms, not 4 ohms.

5. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    [​IMG]

6. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    this is a picture of the back obviously, but if you notice there is 2 channels to run 250W at 4ohm min. or bridged at 500W and 8ohm min. I had practice tonight and I hooked it up the same way (in the channel A spot 250W 4ohm) and it sounded great. The way to use the bridged channel would be running 2 8ohm cabs. but basically I think I have it set the way I want for now. I can run the other 2X15 cab on the channel B and feed them 250W as well. For practice im gonna stick to the 410 cab on a 250W feed, and when we gig i will hook up both the 4X10 and 2X15 to the channel A and B outputs. But this is the layout of the amp just in case someone has any other suggestions or questions. thank you for your input thus far though guys i really appreciate it.

7. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    I will be running the 410 to the SPKR A output and when we gig I will run the 2X15 cab to the SPKR B channel. Everything seems in place though with running the 410 to the SPKR A output, matching ohms and sounds crisp. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

8. kenspade

kenspade

Jan 4, 2012
    Toledo
    question...... what difference does it make if I run 240VAC instead of the 120VAC that it is at now? is that just a switch for if im using 110 or 220 outlet??

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    From the picture it looks like a voltage selector to suit different AC voltages in different countries. You have to change the fuse accordingly.

10. The KenSpade misread the specs. The head is :
    250 watts @ 4ohms (per channel)
    170 watts @ 8ohms (per channel)
    500 watts @ 8ohms (bridged).

There is a bi-amp feature that called "cross loading" that sends 300 watts @ 4ohms to the bass channel and 170 watts @ 8ohms to the treble channel.

The Carvin Museum - 1990 Pro Bass 500 Head