Amp Setup Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Totengraber, Nov 17, 2004.

1. I am not yet in a band, but I'm definitely interested in doing so. However, all the people (online) that are looking for a bass player also want "professional equipment". I'm thinking the Rogue 35 watt practice amp doesn't qualify. So, I've been saving up some cash to get some "professional equipment". I'm not sure how much money I'll need or even what I'll be buying. I am thinking I can come up with about $600 in the near future. I've read a lot about the Avatar cabs here on TB. I'm a little lost on heads (Eden, GK, Peavey, etc.) and the resistance (ohmage) of the cabs attached to them. Any recommendations?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    for ohms and stuff check out this brilliant thread :p

my rule of thumb, get yourself an amp that will put out a minimum of 200 watts into the cabinet(s) you will be using, 400 is better. You should at least have a 2x10 or 1x15. FWIW, the shroeder 1210 seems to meet that minimum requirement as well, and so do some 1x12's.
  3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I wouldn't worry too much about impedance.

If you want 2 (or more) cabinets, get 8 ohm cabinets. If you're only needing 1 cab right now, still get an 8 ohm so that you can add another later.

If you know for a fact that you only want one cab then get a 4 ohm.

Most decent heads will do 4 ohms no problem and 2 8 ohm cabs gives you a 4 ohm load.
  4. lowb1970

lowb1970 Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC
    For your situation, I would recommend Carvin. Lots of quality for the money. I have been using it for 4 years and toured with it all the way around the world. I play in a rock band and it's been plenty loud for me.
    check the package deals as well as the piece by piece. I use a Carvin R-600 and a Carvin AC-120 in my rack. Never had a problem with any of em.
    They're not for everyone, but I find them very :eyebrow: :hyper: