1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Setup w/ PA Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Llaslo, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Llaslo

Llaslo

Mar 8, 2012
    TX
    Okay, here's the deal. I apolgoize in advance for the stupid question, but I tried searching but I'm not sure I know enough about what I'm talking about to do a thorough search on this.

I've been really working hard on bass. I've been taking lessons, playing an average of 2+ hours per day (longer on the weekends). My friends are starting a praise band at church. This will be for both worship type songs and some special community events (outdoor gigs and thing such as that). My concern immediately would be for what we're going to do inside the sanctuary. There is already a Yamaha sound board.

This is our board:
    Yamaha MG32/14FX

We have several amps and other devices (gates & equalizers I believe) that feed the house mains and the other areas of the church. There is a snake that runs down to the floor where the band will be that has 16 XLR inputs on it. I know we have several direct boxes too.

So the thing is, we've never had a praise band before, and I'm the most technical person involved (kind of sad, huh?). So all of that said, My thought was that we could use our personal amps for me and the guitar, and the drums (e-drums) to use as personal monitors and then use a direct box to attach to the snake?

If that assumption is correct, my Fender Rumble 150 seems to have an XLR-out connection on it. Can I just plug an XLR cable from that connection to the snake and use it as my monitor with no need for a direct box? TIA.

Also, that sound board has phantom power power, should it be turned off going to the snake or not?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Welcome. First, phantom power is used for microphones. No need for it with an amplifier, as they have their own power. And yes, XLR DI out from amp will work, but may not be the best. Using a DI box between bass and amp is better. Also, depending on exactly which and what spkrs are in this system, bass may be more than the system can handle. Start off with low levels, and listen carefully. Wouldn't want to blow the PA spkrs with loads of low frequency bass. Hope this helps some.

3. Llaslo

Llaslo

Mar 8, 2012
    TX
    Okay the problem with Phantom power is that there will also be microphones plugged into the snake. So it is currently turned on for microphones and such. If it is on, will it hurt the amps or direct boxes?