Amp Shipping Damage: Who's Responsible?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Laughing Lenny, May 19, 2007.

1. Laughing Lenny

Laughing Lenny

May 19, 2007
    If an amp was shipped and was damaged in transit {it worked perfectly before being shipped} who's on the hook? The buyer usually pays the shipping so if he's paying for the service is it his responsibility?

I am about to sell/ship a relatively expensive amp {$1000} and I am a little worried. I have zero experience shipping or buying something that was shipped to me that was so expensive and seemingly fragile. Amps are relatively fragile are they not? I will definitely pack it extremely well.

Definitely going to have it insured to the hilt, but still if something does happen am I responsible?

BTW, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    No worries. Pack it well, and insure it. If it gets damaged, that's what the insurance is for. I've shipped basses, amps and cabinets to fellow TBers without incident. I've always insured everything just in case.

Cheers,
    Kevin

btw, if it's an all tube amp, there is a sticky above the "amps/cabinets for sale" forum that offers some good advice on shipping.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have to prove it was the shippers fault, like physical damage to the package. If no physical damage they aren't responsible unless you can prove it was packed properly by their definition. In other words oversized carton with plenty of shock protection. Then again it only your word it was in working order. Insurance is mainly for thieft and physical damage. Remember if you have file a claim you need proof of value of amp.

If that concerned get a package for that exact amp. Check local music store, and sometime the origianl manufacturer will sell you a box and the packing material.

I would save you are probably worrying too much, amps are pretty tough. I would say wrap it good in bubble wrap and double box it and you should be good. If a tube amp you may want to label the tube then pull them and bubblewrap them and put them inside the amp for shipping. I have seen tubes completely bounced out of amps from shipped, but popped them back in and all was good. Also try to package it so it is easy to lift and move. Most damage comes from packages that are a pain for the shipping people to handle.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021