Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp shopping...confusing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by codeine, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Ok i currently am playing through a crappy little practise amp and i have been trying to start looking into a new amp but i have gotten so lost.

So could i please have some help?
    I play rock, funk and jazz mainly and would like sommething that i could fill out a reasonable sized place with so i was thinking 100-200W.

Should i get a head and a cab or a combo. I am looking at spending a moderate amount of money (up to 1000 US)

Also does anyone know of reputable bass shops in australia.

Thanks

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Geez, I can't help you with any Australian shops (maybe try pm'ing Merlin), but for $1000 US, you could definitely get a nice head and cab, and with something that will definitely out-power 200w.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As a general rule, buying a seperate head and cab gives you more flexibility but at a higher cost. Of course, when you come to upgrade, the cost gets balanced out - often you'll need to trade in the combo whereas just a new cab or head would sort out your needs otherwise.

The other factors are power and portability. Combos are generally easier to lug around - even if the total weight is the same, they're one piece and thus easier to manage. However, as the power level goes up, being able to break the weight into seperate components starts to become an advantage.

Perhaps some more information would help garner some more advice:

- what kind of equipment do you have easy access to try out? (ie. what's in the local music stores)

- what transport do you have (no car would make a combo much more desirable)?

- who are you playing with / hoping to play with?

Wulf

4. See wulf that is the problem, there isnt much gear to try out in my city. There are a few places i have to get round to see but the majority of stores here having nothing other than practice amps and occasionally peavey TKO 115 and a hartke 200 head.

The other problem is price, what is 500 US will be about 1300-1400 here. Are there any companies that do overseas orders? although i hate not tryingbefore buying (i assume amps dont differ as much as basses tho.

I normally play in trios of either guitar, percussion, piano or wind instruments.

I like to be able to cut through and get pretty trebly but also get some depth and warmth when i need, which i usually get by changing my technique.

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How far to your nearest well stocked place? The problem with ordering from overseas is that not only will you have a long wait to put up with, but it's going to be very difficult to sort out any problems that may occur.

Have you tried the Peavey or Hartke options? What did you think?

Making a few presumptions based on the info you gave, you're not struggling to be heard above a couple of distorted guitars and a pounding drummer, so tone is probably a more important consideration than mere volume.

Wulf

6. Tone is by far the most important consideration for me, it still has to sound good in my home to.

I had played the peavey a friend owned and wasnt overly impressed, the hartke still has to ordered in most shops here even. So the closest place to where i live would be sydney which is normally 1000 kilometres away and i am not at home at teh mo so it is even further.

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    On the other hand, you should still be able to order from the Sydney shops. It seems like your best bet to me.

$1000 is plenty of money to get a good rig. I have gotten a Carvin Cyclops for $475. I also got a Carvin RC210 for $400. You could probably get an Ampeg B2r with an Ampeg 410he for around $600. Add another $150 and you can get the 410hlf instead of the he. I have seen SWR Redheads and Eden Metros for around $1000.

(all of these are in US currency.)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As of right now, you should get something with at least 300 watts. 100 - 200 watts will NOT "fill out a reasonable sized place." Remember, after the first of the year, this is going up to 600 watts, so act now! An Eden WT-400 would be the last amp you'll ever have to buy ... this year.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :D - Good thing I remembered the Metro, eh Munji? ;)

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I live in Sydney Australia and buy my gear from a shop appropriately names "The Bass Player".

But if you want bang for your bucks, try the "Ebony" brand. Made in Australia, big sound and volume, this stuff easily keeps up with the bigger brand names - but they're only half the price. I walked in looking to buy a GK but walked out with a Quake 400 watt amp instead.

11. Petebass could you pls tell me a little more about teh ebony and some of the sydney shops.

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ebony are new to the market. Made in Melbourne, It's simple but reliable gear which sound much better than their price tag.

I bought the Quake 400 amp head. It retails at $1300 AUS but you'll never need to buy another amp. It's a very loud 400w, only weighs 15 kg, 4 band active EQ, plus a 7 band graphic eq, switches for trebble boost, mid shape, bass cut, and graphic EQ on/off. In other words HEAPS of tone shaping capabilities but the bloody thing sounds great with everything set FLAT.

They make a 250w version which is cheaper. Plus a line of speaker cabinets and Combos.

For a complete list, go the www.bassplayer.com.au, click on the "Amps & Cabs" button, then scroll down to the ebony page.

Ummmm... this sounds like I work for the company doesn't it? Well I dont. And I'm not an endorsee either. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Unfortunately I've only ever seen em at the one store here in Sydney. You're gonna have to source one for yourself unfortunately. Sorry.

13. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    This are some of the products I'd recommend you to go look at at a store or in the internet.

-Nemesis 410 combo
    -Nemesis 210 combo -SWR's redhead 210 combo
    -Carvin 210 combo

for heads/amps:

-Hartke 3500
    -GallienKruegger 400-RB

cabs:

-Peavey
    -Carvin

Hope this helped a little...

14. Is the only difference between teh hartke HA series heads the output?