Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp shopping while in Sydney ( Petebass & Behringer content you have been warned )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just got back from a week in Sydney about 1/2 an hour ago ( Just enough time to crack a beer, it's Friday arvo here ) thought I'd fill you guys in on a few interesting things I got up to..

First of all I met PeteBass on Tuesday nite.. Real stand up guy!! We went for a few beers and a few pizza's and talked smack about basses, amps etc etc for quite a few hours.. Was great fun, thanks Pete. Almost caught one of his gigs lastnight but had to work late & start early so had to bail.. Will be back up there next week tho Pete so look out.

Now here's the bit I've been dreading posting about but I know it will be kinda fun anyhoo..... On Tuesday arvo before meeting up with Pete I went into the city to check out some music stores.. Cut a long story short I ended up playing a rather nice Stingray 4 through a GK400 head & (wait for it!!! ) a Behringer 2x10 cab......

Bottom line, it sounded good to me.... My use for a 2x10 box is for my stage monitoring purposes only ( I have a pair of 12's for the audience ) It was a nice meaty sound, The cab itself seemed to be built better ( sturdier ) than the Aussie made cabs I'm using now, probably a good 1/4 inch thicker ply.. It has wheels on it too!!! And for $350 AUD ( that's about $0.29 USD ) I think I'm gunna pick one up next week.. Also thinking about getting the 8x10 for a 1 cab rig I've been thinking of ( with a YBA200 ).. I listened with my ears & liked what I heard.

Anyhoo, bash away if you feel the need to, I've got the front row seat & plenty of beers... :D :D

PS.. I can't think of anyone that they stole these designs from, Hartke springs to mind what with the Aluminium coned one's ( the 2x10 was good 'ole paper ) but the cab was front slot ported etc etc

I'll be here most of the day to answer any questions, feel free.

Peace,

Dan

:bag: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Petebass rips of other brands and makes inferior quality products. There I said it!

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Good one Mark!!!!!!!

Any chance you'd be up for a coldie or two with me & Pete next week????

Dan
    Unofficial self-appointed Sysney GTG organiser

4. i tried:
    fender jazz 60's classic -> GK 700 -> Berhinger 2x10+1x15 (the paper ones)

was not that bad i gotta say!

im down for the 'sysney' get together.. whatever that is! hehehe

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Oooops!!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm still looking for the 29 cent cabinets over here in the usa. :confused: :p

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Don't you guys realize that Behringer products are made by slaves in China that work 29 hours a day, 10 days a week, forced to walk 20 miles to work each day, uphill both ways, bare feet, in the snow carrying their 200 lb limbless cousins to school? Shame on you.

It's true.

I read it on the internet.

8. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    :meh:

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Let me know when and ill be in. If you'll have me! Always wanting to meet more TB'ers

10. I know this is thread hi-jacking but since you guys are in Australia, did you guys know if it is worth purchasing a Hartke 115XL because I already have a 410XL and a Hartke 3500 amp. Just wondering if I should go out and purchase one or not bother. If so will it add a lot more power to the setup? Sorry for the thread hi-jacking.

Joe.

11. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    If so, go for it.......

You'll get plenty of opinions both ways here matey.....

I always thought that a matching rig is nice but that's just me....

Try it out.... No one will knock you for it....

Edit... PS.. It should make you're rig sound killer compared to just 1 cab... JMHO

12. I already got the 410XL and the 3500 Head but am unable to use it yet as Christmas is not now. I also need to get some replacement vertical knobs for the eq as 2 of the ones that were on the 3500 head have fallen off. Will the 3500 be able to support another cab?