Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp shopping!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 23, 2004.

1. my jazz acadamy director wants my band (bass,guitar,drums) to go amp and drum shopping he wants a good quality bass amp guitar amp and drumset for when the jazz band does gigs.

my price range is 700max and i just wnat to get a good combo it dosnt have to be all that loud (its jazz)

i was thjinking teh swr workingmans 1x12 or 1x15
    what are some good bass combos in that prcie range that have good tone for jazz?

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    fender bassman 200 combo .. no distortion at all, very little clipping

3. I'd try maybe a Peavey Combo 115.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not to rule anything else out but from your 1st thoughts i would try the swr wm 12
    i really like the sound of that amp - not a ton of lows but a nice midrange that makes me think "jazz"
    maybe you might have enough left over for another extension cab (i think the wm-12 will take one, but don't quote me) - maybe a wm-1x10

5. I'd have to say GK, set flat.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The value isnt that great... but with that budget, you could land an Ampeg combo. Again... maybe not worth the $600 or so you'll have to pay... but they're excellent amps.

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Ampeg B50r or B100r-- both great amps. The B50 would be excellent for a jazz gig. The B100 is bigger and louder, but still a fine choice.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Jazz? Then GK MB150S, hands down. Works very well for upright, too, if someone else at the academy needs to use it.
    Very small and light, yet monster tone! :cool: :hyper:

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Great choice-- I'd forgotten about it. Also consider the SWR Baby Blue. THe parametric EQ is amazing.

10. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    this should meet your needs and your budget. its not very light though.

11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

soooo....what did you end up with?

12. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Polytone! Good enough for Ray Brown and Carol Kaye.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may be able to find a used iAMP 350 Combo or an iAMP 200 Wizzy Combo in that price range. The little GK is pretty phenomenal, too.

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    For that money and it you look hard enough, you just might find a nice vintage Ampeg B-15 fliptop. I got my 1967 B-15-N in perfect condition for $500. That would be a great jazz amp that would hold and maybe even increase in value.

15. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    PS: An Ampeg B-100R would be a good alternative for that "Old School" jazzy tone.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The SWR workingman's are a great for jazz, but for upright, the Acoustic Image is the best. Not great for electric unless you use an extension cab. Stay away from Redheads, and the GK Microbass is good too, perhaps the best small electric and upright amp under $700. I might suggest an Acoustic Image and an Acme cab. Good luck!!!