Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Shopping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Mar 25, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm finally buying a new amp, but i have no idea what to get. I have a Fender Jazz, I play mainly Jazz/Funk/Rock/Blues. I'm looking for an amp with maybe 150 to 200 Watts in the 600$ price range. A combo or a stack is fine. I would either get a 12" or 2x10". I'd prefer it to be fairly portable, and have a graphic EQ along with other EQ knobs and buttons. I Currently have a Peavey Microbass, but i find that it doesnt have enough power. I had my mind on the Peavey TNT, but everyone tells me it's not worth the price. What do you all recommend? Thank you.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well it depends on who you're playing with.

I have a peavey tnt and it suits me fine i play with 2 guitarists with 120 watt 2x12 combos. But who knows?

It suits me and i enjoy having it, but if you plan on lugging one anywhere be sure to get some casters. 80+pounds might not seem alot but when it's in the shape of a giant square it gets stressful after awhile.

I'd check out an avatar sb112 and a ashdown mag300 head. That setup would be around 600$ If you want an actual rig.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $600 for an amp and cab, or combo? That shouldn't be too difficult.

Used Eden amp, and Avatar cabs for separates. Your price range eliminates the chance of getting two brand new things of real good quality.

-Mike

4. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I own a Peavey TNT115 and it's a hell of an amp for the price. Besides being loud enough for anything I do, it's got loads of usable features like active/passive switch, 5 band eq with seperate shelving for mid and highs, eq bypass, bright switch, ground polarity reversal, balanced line out, bal lin ground drop, and a pre gain control. The active/passive lets my EMG 35HZ's sound out bigtime and the 15" and horn give a very thumping low end without being boomy.

Great amp. You can usually get them for around $450 - $550 instead of the $629 msrp.

5. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    PS..

Invest in 4 med duty casters right away. 90 lbs. is pretty heavy.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Avatar is having a March Madness sale. Ashdown Mag 300H for $278 free ship with purchase of cab. B212 (2x12) = $279. For under $600 shipped, you got one hot setup! Avatarspeakers.com

7. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Agreed

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    That is the absolute best rig you could put together for $600!!! A Peavey combo can't touch that rig!

9. Jazzin'

I have some brand loyalty with Peavey only because I have a PV Microbass. I was planning on getting the TNT, but people keep telling me that it is not good.

10. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've had my tnt for 1 1/2 years. I was lifting it out of my back seat to take it into my bands practice room, lost grip of it and it feel stright onto the ground with a nice hollow thud. I picked it up took it into the practice room plugged in, and it worked fine and has since then.

But ya if you can get the avatar setup it IS better than the tnt combo, more versitility but if you cant i would snag up a tnt.

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    This is the exact rig I was gonna suggest after reading the first post in this thread.

12. Quadzilla

Dude, brand loyalty is one thing, but getting a rig that is far inferior to what you could get for the same money is just plain......how should I word this nicely.......not too smart. Go for the Avatar special. It will BLOW THE DOORS OFF of that Peavey TNT (and yes I owned a Peavey TNT so I know!!!!).

13. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    check out:

www.musiciansfriend.com

clearance section
    SWR 2004 head @ $199 and an swr 2x10 on sales too can't beat em at that price

14. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    oops it's a 4 x10 @$299

15. Quadzilla

No offense but the Avatar cabs BLOW away the SWR Workingman's series. Can't speak for the head as I've never used a SWR 2004 WM, but I have a WM 300 at one time that was nice. The Ashdown certainly puts out way more watts than the WM 2004 if nothing else.

16. Jazzin'

I'll check it out.
    EDIT: I sent them an email. I live in Montreal, Canada, so it may be a problem.
    I may just end up going to Steve's Music Store (if anyone hasn't heard of it, it's possibly the best music store in Canada) and buy one there. I would obviously ask for advice from the salesmen, they aren't out to get my money.

17. Jazzin'

I'm starting to like that head. And I guess the cab is good too.