Amp signal to the board question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeb, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I have typically run my bass to a direct box (no amp) that (somehow) goes direct to the board a stones throw away. I plug headphones into a personal monitor box and adjust all settings to my liking. I also play with a group and plug into a 2X10 combo amp with an XLR out to a stage box cabled to the board.

One of my commitments now involves a small group with a small Mackie 808S powered mixer. I use my Peavey TNT combo here and have simply run an instrument cable from the "preamp out" of the Peavey to the "line" input of an open channel on the Mackie. Seems to work just fine, but I'm wondering if this is or isn't the preferred way to run to the board? I mean no direct box or XLR involved here.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A separate DI box typically gets a pre-EQ signal, while a preamp out feed tyically is post-EQ. If it sounds good, it is good. Many preamp outs are not balanced lines, but for a short run that probably doesn't matter. I run a DI feed out of preamp outs sometimes when I need to drive a long snake and want a balanced signal, works fine in many cases.
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks for the reply. I can't tell the difference in quality either way, for cryin out loud, night to night sounds different with the same hardware/setup, depending on the population of the room maybe? I honestly can't say that one setup sounds better than the other given all the variables. Its all pretty good I guess. Thanks.
  4. Theoretically the "line out" from the TNT spits out your signal at "line level". Therefore it's appropriate to do exactly what you're doing: putting it into the "line in" on the Mackie. And this would be considered "a" right way to do it---but not the only way.

You could go: TNT line out-->DI-->Mackie mic in (XLR). Probably will be at least some difference. Could be better; could be worse. Just gotta try it.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, it's fine for relatively short cable runs. If you've got a long stretch to the board, then the DI is better, since its output is low impedance, which performs better with respect to signal degradation.
  6. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Thanks for the reply King! edit, edit and Munji!

The cable is 15 feet, sound controlled from the guitar side of the stage (I have the light responsibility as mentioned in a previous thread!).

Thanks guys.
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    One thing to keep in mind - when ever you're sending the board a signal which is post pre-amp, any changes you make to the amp also carry over to the signal sent to the board. If you turn up, the signal to the board gets hotter. If it was already pretty strong, it could be running into the clip zone now, causing distortion. A similar thing can happen if you adjust your EQ.

I prefer to run a signal to the board that is pre the pre-amp. That way I can change whatever I like on the amp without mucking up the FOH. Most sound guys will also prefer a pre signal because it eliminates that tug-o-war between bass rig and PA.