Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMP SIZE & BRAND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wabbit_slayer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    Im awaiting my new bass and was wondering what size/brand to get that wont be over powered by my drumset that my friend will be playing??

We plan on playing Ramones,Sex pistols and ,The Clash :cool:

2. An SVT-CL head and an 8x10 cab.

Do you have a guitarist?

3. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    MY Brother. He is getting a 200 watt randal half stack

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    You on a budget?

5. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    YEA AS MUCH AS i CAN MAKE BY WORKING FOR RANDOM PEOPLE ABOUT $650-$750

6. You should get at least 3-4 times the power of the guitarist.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Spanky...I'd say go with some used Peavey gear. It's awesome gear for the price.

Also look into Carvin stuff at www.carvin.com

And a quick look at a rig for just about $600 (fourth post down, you'll see it) Clickey!

8. You should get a head with at least 200w RMS and a 4x10 cab... I reccomend the Ashdown MAG 250 with the MAG-410T cab. I think that will be enough to overpower the drums at a fair price. It will also give you a great sound!

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    If you're on a budget...you can get an Avatar 4x10 for under $300 delivered. I just got one, it is solid as a rock, great sound, great customer service (Dave). I was apprehensive...I am not now, and I will add their 15 cab in the future if I ever need to make that much more noise.

www.avatarspeakers.com::D

10. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    :D I think i'll go to avatar speakers and get the 4X10 thinigmobob:D

11. Good Choice. Avatar all the way for the low budget bass players. :cool: :rolleyes:

Anyway, but your gonna need a nice powerful head to get over your guitarist. I lot of members go for pre/power amp setup to get a lot of power i hear. Also there is the head Carvin makes that handles 1000w. But it all depends on your budget and i don't know what you can do with $750. You have to do some research.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A 200-watt guitar amp? As a minimum, you need 800 watts and 8 tens. The WT-800 and a D-810XLT (both by Eden) will fix you right up. Two D-410XLTs would be a suitable substitute for the 810.

Seriously, anything less than 800 watts is going to leave you blowing in the weeds. This might be a good time to think about pre-amp and power amp setups. A QSC PLX 1604 would be a good amp, then choose your favorite pre.

13. Are you planning to do gigs? If so then Munjibunga's right, you will need at least 800 watts. If it is just for practaced then you could get away with less.

Also does your band have a PA? Another way to get away with a not so powerful amp is to mic/DI into the PA. You could then just get the one 410.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    200 watts is huge for a guitar player... so you will need huge watts for your bass.. that is if the guitarist likes to play loud.

as far as gear goes.. its ok to mix up your gear.. you don't have to get just peavey, or ampeg, or eden.. you could get an eden head and a peavey cab or something. finding the sound that fits you best is what you should do.

Now, to get the power you need, you may want to try looking at getting a power amp and separate preamp. just a suggestion.. you don't have to.. and i would say a 410 cab to start with.

15. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    IF I can't aford an 800 watt bass amp can my guitarest get a smaller amp say 120 watt and still be loud enouf to be heard for practice.

MOPARPUNK offered a crate 4x10 for $300 is this a good deal :confused:

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    120-watt guitar amp? Then you'd be OK with a 600 watt amp. You can go with less for practice, as long as you don't want anybody to hear the bass. Of course, you could insist that the guitar player set his gain just a little below "1", and that the drummer play on a practice pad.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm just being sarcastic, of course, but you do need to get the biggest amp you can afford. Even a 100-watt guitar amp is big. 400 watts is about the lowest you can go and hope to cover that and still have any headroom at all. Carvin, Fender, Peavey or Hartke are going to give you good bang for the buck and still have decent quality. I'd stay away from Yorkville, Crate, Rogue and Genz Benz. Get something you can keep for a while, so you're not making too manysales/purchases to step up. Good luck, man.

18. I don´t understand why people is talking about getting an amp with as much as 1000W. I´ve played a lot of gigs with different amps (100W -400W), unless you play at a huge place (or outdoors) you won´t need a amp as powerful as 1000w... And defenently not if it´s conected (lined och mic-ed) to the place´s PA system. (99,9% do that you know..)

My opinion in this matter is that many people seems to go for a powerful amp... and will probebly never use the power.... I beleave that you shuld: Use the money you spend on getting a huge amp, on stuff that makes a smaller amp sound better...

My tip is to NOT go for the "maximum power" amps at a early stage. Buy the big ones when you really need them.

;) // McBraid

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Indeed, a kilowatt probably isn't necessary, but 300 or 400 is.

20. wabbit_slayer

wabbit_slayer

Jul 9, 2002
    I'm new to bass so I don't know much but will 2 400 watt amps do the same thing as 1 800 watt
    amplfier:(