amp size

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twiggy, May 27, 2001.

1. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    what is the smallest amp one could get away with using for small clubs /company picnics.these venues will not have pa systems maybe 75/85 people my amp will have to do all the work
  2. danny3k

danny3k Guest

May 26, 2001
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    I think that is better the Peavy KB-100 for that use, because it has an imput for microphone...
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    A Walter Woods and your cabinet of choice. :)
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All you regulars can just flick on over to another thread right now.

OK. I've said it at least twice before. 300 watts minimum. Period. 600 is better. Forget 100, and 200 is not an acceptable compromise. I can tell you right now that each and every right-thinking person on this forum agrees. Don't do yourself a humongous disservice by going with anything less. You would be well-advised to follow Oysterman's recommendation on this. Can I get an amen? Amen. There. I gave myself an amen.
  5. [​IMG]

AMEN, I think....

Yeah you are right no PA system, you need big time watts, otherwise you push your amp too hard and it sounds like hell.....
  6. You can play with the SPL numbers to get a good idea. Grab my Musician's Reference spreadsheet from my site at :

On the "dB" tab, you can plug in the SPL rating of your guitarists' cabinet. Let's assume he has a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a 12" JBL installed. The SPL would be 103 and this amp puts out 40 watts. The closest tab on the spreadsheet is 32 watts. At 8 meters / 26 feet, he puts out 100 SPL at 32 watts.

Now take the SPL rating of your bass amp cabinet and plug it into the spreadsheet. Read across the 8 meter row until you find 100 SPL. The top column will show you how many watts you need to keep up with your guitarist. Assume you have a Henry 8x8 cabinet rated at 96 SPL. Plugging in the numbers, you will need 256 watts to keep up with your guitar player using the H/R Deluxe with a 12" JBL installed.

My situation is much worse, as I have very low efficiency cabs (89 SPL) for extended bass response, and I need 1,024 watts to keep up with that Hot Rod Deluxe.