Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp sizes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steffanlessard, Sep 2, 2005.

1. steffanlessard

steffanlessard

Sep 2, 2005
    if anybody can help me, it would be greatly appreciated. i've progressed from playing for 50-100 people in myband to 300 ot 400 people.so now comes the time to buy a head/cabinet or combo amp. so the question is, what is a suitable size(ohm/watt) to play for such a crowd?

SteffanLessard

2. What kind of band, how many people are you competeing with? loud drummer? what size of amps your guitarists using?

3. The anser, as mohawk implies, is "it depends"

What's your style? What kind of music? What PA support will you have? How are you set up for transportation of your new rig? Where will you keep it when not playing? Do you have stairs to go up and down? How much money do you have to spend? And a few other questions that I can't think of...

There's really no one "perfect" setup, everyone's needs are different...

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Any size, as far as you play through a P.A.
    Most seriously, it is easier to run a P.A. at low volumes than changing your amp every 6 months while your crowd is growing.
    So if I had to change something to reach a larger audience, I'd rather get a P.A. than changing my amp.
    But hey, that's just me.

Cheers,
    JL

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  6. thats ALLLLLLWAYS a good choice :smug: , well, the amp is anyway,

i wouldnt use that cab, i really dont think it would survive, its rated at 200 watts and your putting 300 watts from an all tube amp into it?

Also, you can only use 2 or 4 ohms with an SVT II non pro, and thats an 8ohm cab

7. steffanlessard

steffanlessard

Sep 2, 2005
    what about as far as price goes?

8. steffanlessard

steffanlessard

Sep 2, 2005
    we are playing for close to 400 ppl. our drummer varies, depends on the song, guitarists are using marshalls

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That Ashdown probably wouldnt be bad if your guitarists are using combo amps.

10. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    In addition to the previous questions asked (how much $$$, what kind of music do you play, will you have PA support, etc.) I think it's important to consider what you like/dislike about your current set-up. Upgrading can be a complicated process of trying to balance what you're used to with new sonic possibilities, or it could be simply doing away with bells and whistles you feel are unnecessary and focus on that one sound in your head. Definitely, consider long and hard what your requirements are and what tones you like (from your's and other's music). And, if you're soliciting the advice of others, try to be as detailed as possible.