Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp sound inconsistency

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cambass, Apr 28, 2001.

1. I guess this is in the right forum. I have a problem with my setup at the moment. I use an Ashton 40watt amp and I've just had my bass rewired (to replace a pot). The problem is that the E string isn't as loud or bright as the other strings. Also when I fret up past the 12th fret the sound is so much brighter and louder compared to lower frets (on all strings).

Is this a problem with my amp, do I just need to adjust the treble, mid and bass right or is it something thats inherent in the making and quality of the amp? Could also be my bass?

2. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    I'm not sure about this E string problem, but did you not notice that fretting up past the 12th octave was always brighter, even before the amp and pot changes. There is more tone and brightness on any notes lower on the neck, you will always get more definition out of the 12th on E than a Low F on E, that doesn't sound like a "problem",,, the E string may not seem as bright as the other strings because it is an E string, it does hat it's supposed to do, and thats to provide a low frequency, it is the bassiest?!? sounding string on the bass.... try playing without the bass plugged in, i'm sure you'll discover this when it playing the bass clean.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It is one of the main specifications of Ampeg amps.

4. It sounds fine not plugged in but it's not the strings that is the problem. When I play plugged in the E string isn't as loud and it sounds a bit weak, this being when all volume knobs are at loudest (bass and amp).

5. Shot in the dark, but what's the pickup height like under the E string?

If its too low on that side, you aren't getting much signal.

FF

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hmmm... this defintely sounds like it's to do with your setup as opposed to the amp. Thus...

7. It looks slightly lower, this is something I didn't consider even though I had unscrewed it recently to adjust it's height. I must have screwed that side down more than the other.

Another element that was right in front of me was string height. I assume this will affect the problem aswell, I have also played around with the action of the strings. Once again, I didn't even think about this! :)