amp sounds bad~

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by only4him012, Jan 27, 2003.

1. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ is an 140 watt hartke combo amp. with aluminum cone....i used this hm...first amp almost...cuz i first learned and played at church...and they had this. and it sounded pretty good ..until i went away for a few weeks and then i returned....

the sound was terrible. im not so sure if the setting has been changed. i fixed it so many times but don't work. it dead...(meaning: no puchy sound but it feels like im listening it with lots of obsorbing materials around me...)
    can you get what im talking about? i hope so....please help~:(
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    When is the last time you changed your strings?...that can muddy up your sound....

If something IS wrong with the amp, then i would take it to a shop, and have a pro look at it if you can't really descibe it more in depth than what your post tells us. Is their anything else wrong? it just doesnt sound punchy enough? Well, if you didn't play with the EQ, but think someone else did, take out some mids, and pop in some lows and highs??? I'm really at a loss as to how to help you out, i'm sorry if i didn't understand your question....
  3. if you play a bass with active electronics you may want to check your battery
  4. Almost sounds like the speaker is wired up out of phase. No one's been fiddling with it have they?
  5. A single speaker combo wired out of phase wouldn't sound any different from one wired correctly.
  6. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    the bettery is good as new. the strings were old before also, but would those two or three weeks affect the sound significantly?
  7. only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    also i played around witht he eq, but didn't work at all. then i thought it was the contour function that it had, but it wasn't. it sounded better, but it sounded so dead when the whole band played with me. they say they are not sure if there are any difference. it bothers me to the point where i don't want to play with that sound.