Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jerryo, Jun 19, 2003.

1. jerryo

May 31, 2003
    Have been practicing with a 30 watter for over a year.Can't decide on a combo or amp/speaker cabinet,enjoy playing r&b,funk,blues some older rock.Where I live there is only two music stores not much in the way of selection,what do you recommend.
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Depends what you want to do. A combo may fall short in a medium/large club, whereas a 1/2 stack is overkill in your basement.
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What brands do you have access to, and what models can the shop order in for you? What kind of venues are you going to be playing in? Do you have a specific price range, or are you going to get ideas, then save up for something (like me :D )
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    buying separates is a good way to grow in the future, but combos will be cheaper, but only good for smaller gigs and personal practice. how much can you spend? what do you plan to do/play in the future? I played just at home for a long time with two 12s and that was too much lowend. I now have two 10s with 350watts into 4ohms and that is pretty lound for home, practice, church bands stage monitor. it doesn't fill a room unless its less than 500 s.f. I'd say for a next step maybe get a 2x10 combo about 150w or 2x10 with separate head/amp 150w+. Avatar comes highly recommended. I'd buy another SWR Bass 350 off ebay if I had to do it again. 2x10 ($270) + $300 or $400 for a 350w head. $500-600 total?

small combo I'd recommend the SWR WM-12 $550 (new). I like the tone better than the 15 and you could always add another cab if you need more sound.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    smash, I guess what I meant is for louder/bigger gigs a person probably couldn't get away with a 80w 1x10 (swr wm-10) I had a "church" situation where my wm-10 (with an extention 10!) did not cut it on stage. I was running 3/4 volume and into the p.a. and I had a hard time hearing my "monitor" (wm-10) my current church situation is similar I would not touch that stage w/o 300w and a couple of 10s, 12s or a 15.

I could not see the average 60-150w combo cutting it in a bar band. that is what I meant, I guess.
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    A seperate head or preamp/power amp + speakers allows more flexibility and options.
  7. There are some pretty powerful combos out there. The GK 1001RB/210 does 460 watts with just then internal speakers. You can add a 115 cabinet to the bottom and get 700 watts out of it. Keith Horne and Baron Brown are both using the 1001RB/115 combos for gigging.

There are other offerings out there in close to the same power range as well, though I'm pretty sure the 1001 is currently the most powerful combo out there. I could be wrong.
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you want to try Combo's, checkout the GK 1001RB combo, the Eden Metro and the Peavey BAM.

I like the BAM best out of them all but it's worth a shot for the others.