Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp specific questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RoMeRz, Feb 13, 2006.

1. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hello, first time on here :)

Ive read through the FAQ and read a good few other things, I was wondering if I could post a few specific questions relating to myself though. Ill give it a bash and hopefully I dont get banned :D

Got a nice head yesterday.

It says no lower than 4ohms. Am I right in thinking that means no 2ohms speakers - only 4ohms and 8ohms yes ?

It is 300watts - I dont have a cab yet - but I have access to two 250w 8ohms speakers - will they be of any use and what will the result be ?

Also will I need to use "speaker" leads rather than just normal leads ?

2. Allways use speaker leads; never instrument leads!

minimal 4 ohm means no more than two 8 ohm cabs, or more than one 4 ohm cab.

3. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    So I would be ok using the two 8ohm 250watt speakers ?

4. Yes, but it will only sound good if these speakers can produce enough bass... are these speakers specifically designed for bass guitar or are they general purpose?

5. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well I cant afford a cab just now, and I have a sound engineer friend who said I could borrow those speakers just now. I think they are general purpose speakers.

6. Well, most general purpose speakers are not designed to be used below 100 hertz on their own; they are to be used with an active crossover and a subwoofer if you want to amplify a bass guitar. Some speakers however are up to the task but these are rare. If your friend is a sound engineer he should know if his speakers will do or not.