Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp Stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackcc, Jul 24, 2001.

1. jackcc

jackcc

Jun 7, 2000
    Would it be possible to use an amp stand with a hartke 4x10 Cabinet? The problem I have is that I am 6'9 and when I put the cabinet on the floor I have trouble hearing it. I would appreciate any solutions you might have.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One of my amps that I use for small rooms is a Carvin Cyclops that only stands about 32" tall. I put it on top of another cab with a 15" that I don't even hook up.

So, for looks, you could get a dummy cab. Most music stores and pawn shops that I know of always seem to have some gutted cab, (no speaker), that isn't doing them any good and they would be glad to unload cheap.

3. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    you could try putting your head on the floor and
    propping the cab up on something like a monitor.
    i did this once in a lox volume stiuation(in an orchestra pit) and it actually filled the room better.
    experiment!!!

4. If you used an ampstand where would you put your head? not that it is impossible just your speaker would be on an angle.
    How powerful is your head?

I however use an ampstand occasionally for a peavey tnt amp and it is very heavy and the stand holds. Although it is starting to bend. I do this because it is not enough power to hear sometimes. and you can also turn it down lower in different situations if it has too much stage volume (for the sound guy of course)
    I would suggest setting it on top of something if you are jammin at home and for live playing maybe just turn it up or maybe more volume in the monitor? I guess it depends what your doing.

I have "heard" that you can lose some tone with your amp off the ground too - but again it all depends on the application.

To give a simple answer to a simple question why not use an ampstand.

5. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Well if you put your head on the floor, isn't it kind of hard to play? I mean, where do you put your feet?