1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Mar 10, 2008.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey guys I have had some very interesting success in the past few weeks that I thought was pretty interesting.

There are a few particular venues I play in that have very little need for a big cab (like a 4x10) in that these are large clubs with huge FOH systems. With that the stage volume is super loud and of course the stage is hollow, my use of a big cabinet was only to provide stage volume.

I had for the most part either used a 4x10 or 2x12 cabinet for these venues which is plenty of volume but what it does is just increase the stage volume and blow allot of bass at my knees.

I recently started using these amp stands that are supplied by the club, a 12" high box made of 1/2 inch plywood with a rubber mat glued to the top. I have been bringing my 2x10 cabinet (EA) and with the raised height I can hear myself at a much lower volume setting.

I am considering building my own box for other venues maybe slightly higher 18" or so and maybe use it flipped over to carry my extra gear.

I am really digging the idea of getting the speakers closer to my ear, but not really wanting to carry around more stuff.

Any thoughts?

2. I've done the bar chair- although I'm hesitant to put a head on the cab.

I suppose you could also tilt the cab back as well. I like being WELL in front of the cab anyway.

"Back in the day," I used to use 2 cabs- an SWR Triad and a Goliath II. Whenever you see pics of people using the same or similar rig, the 4x10 is always on top. So that's the way I always did it- just because I saw everyone else doing it like that. One day, someone helped me set my stuff up, and put the Triad cab on top. I couldn't figure out why I sounded so much "better." It's because the 15 was closer to my ears, and I was hearing that. That's when I really figured out that I prefer the sound of 15s.

3. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

I've considered for some time getting a second 2x10 and stacking them vertically but it would seem to be a pain to lug around. I have a tilt back handle on the EA but when I use a large head it is just not secure. The current situation I'm in (11 pieces) just does not allow me to be any distance from my amp even on the largest of stages.

Pete

4. You know... I used to have a stand for my 2x12 cab- I think it was an "Ultimate" brand. Let me do some looking.

5. Something like this:

[​IMG]

I think this one is an "On Stage" brand.

While you may not want to have your head on top- you could also bring a separate stand for your head- or run the head on the floor.

6. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    The obvious issue with that is a place to put my head. I play quite a bit and don't want to carry around to much stuff, if I then need to also bring something to eep my head on. I still need to be compact and mobile.

Thanks for the info...

Pete

7. ChrisG19

ChrisG19

Apr 21, 2005
    Culpeper, VA
    I put my Eden 210xlt on top of it's road case. Works pretty well.

8. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I was thinking about that but adding a road case to a 36lb 2x10 neo cabinet defeats the "light weight" feature.

Pete

9. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    screw on table legs....

edit...soundz like i'm being a smart guy here but I actually thought about doing this.

10. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Drum cases. The drummer has to bring them anyway and when you nest them like a Russian doll they're plenty sturdy for a 2x10 or 1X15.

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Hire a hot chick in a bikini to hold it up for you.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    tagging on...

I need a heavy duty folding amp stand... ~200lbs capacity with at least 18" back support.

13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

who do you think I am?....................The Govenor of NY..

14. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    this is very sturdy. I use this On Stage RS-7000 stand. The rack is a very light molded SKB. Yes, the amp is small and light but I still need a place for my tuner, my wireless base unit, and anything I might need to stuff in there like speaker wire, extension cord etc.

The lightness of the amp makes the rack unit that much lighter overall. <20lbs with a conditioner

I also rig up some velcro on the handle of the rack to act as a guitar holder.

Note--this looks like it is leaning forward because of the photo taken from a downward angle--in reality it's well-balanced over the middle of the stand and is as sturdy as two cabs stacked--I promise.

gets the speaker right at ear level. also, any 2x10 or 112 under 40 or so pounds would still sit on there fine in my opinion---this stand holds quite a bit of weight.

[​IMG]

15. +100000 I'm in the SAME situ!!!!! Sure we're only 8 piece, but still the stages in our town (or the 'area for the band' :rolleyes:) are not made for ANYTHING larger than a 4 piece- at least for qa 4 piece to be able to walk one or two steps in any direction!!;)
    So we're a 8 piece soul/funk band & I'm ALMOST always squashed in next to the drums(floor tom side- but thats another story) & behind the OCD/altheimers/plain MAD keyboardist-Who-as I've dedicated threads to- thinks we're FAR too loud(we play as loud as our drummer plays-acoustic drums-they're NEVER put in the monitors) & that keyboardists can simply NOT PLAY at this volume- never have- none- EVER-John Lord-NO way .....if he did- he's MAD!! So's any other keyboarder that plays in a band as loud as us :rollno:
    Anyway-sorry to go OT- I'm almost ALWAYS stuck about 2 feet away from my amp/cab. I USUALLY use the V4BH/NV610 rig, but the other day I used my LMII/GS112 & GS115 rig & it did sound good. I was thinkin- maybe I could tilt, raise the GS112(on top of the GS115) so it's pointing at my ears.
    BTW-I CAN usually hear myself, but -according to the keys player- I'm WAY too loud-no-one else thinks I am tho :spit:

But as this thread is directing.....- It MAY be worth me trying the small cab up @ ear level???????????? But then the other's 'd have to have bass in their monitors & so the situ's the same, perhaps worse- bass loud all over stage.
    I DO know it does make a HECK of a difference having the bass spkr pointing at ears-esp. if U R close to it as I & Pete are, BUT I dunno whether I'd like to have the V4BH OR LMII sitting on a tilted GS112. Hmmmmm food for thought.
    Good thread!

16. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    These amp stands are great...for guitar. With bass not many realize that when you elevate your cab baffle more than 1/4 of the wavelength from the floor you lose the boundary reinforcement. The end result being decreased midbass*. This may not be a problem if you are using a mid-heavy cab, but when I did it with my mid-shy Aguilar GS112s it was no good, I was pushing them too hard because I was missing so much volume.

What I don't know is if you still lose boundary reinforcement by putting them on top of a box that's coupled to the floor. I would look into a tilt-back cab. Or use one cab on the floor and one elevated like this:

-rack-

rodl2005: I wouldn't bother elevating your GS112s. Either find a way to tilt them back, and if you have to put an iso pad underneath if it's a boomy stage. Personally though, I don't feel the need to get anything up at my ears.

*source: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384895&highlight=coupling+decoupling

17. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    ""With bass not many realize that when you elevate your cab baffle more than 1/4 of the wavelength from the floor you lose the boundary reinforcement. The end result being decreased midbass*. """

I've experienced nothing but finally being able to hear myself on stage without getting complaints from other bandmembers. If anything--they complain I'm not loud enough. Meaning to say--I can be at a pretty low level and hear myself fine--I still have lots of volume to go.

If anythings missing it's a bit of the lows but I hear enough from our subs

18. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    That's a beautiful cab...is that a Bag End or DIY?

19. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    HAHAHA!! He got busted, huh? What a dummy! The guy's obviously smart, and from what I've heard Howard Stern say, he's been good for NY, but what an ultra-maroon! Everyone knows that if you're going to cavort with prostitutes, you should go to Vegas.

20. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    It's a DIY 112 Birch finished with rosewood. it's a bit darker red than it shows in the pic