Amp stands - yea or nea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedro, Jul 8, 2008.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm curious how many (if any) of you use amp stands. Any downside to them? Which ones do you recommend and why? Pictures would very cool.

2. Pedro, I've used em and like them. I have one but will have to dig it out to give you details. IMO, just get one that is stable enough and tilts back low to the floor (otherwise may as well use a chair). Mine was marginal for a 410 cab so factor in the size. Some cabs now come with tilt-back fold-out hardware on the back (Hardke ?).

Jimbob

3. I don't use them for two reasons:

1) My large cabs sit up high enough that I can hear them fine, and they are always on their castors, which provides just a touch of that 'uncoupling' thing.

2) The small, single cabs that I use seem to actually really need that 'floor coupling' in many situations to result in a more solid bottom out in the room. Getting them up does allow you to hear better, but results IME in a pretty thin tone out in the room (which may be fine for DB players or on Jazz type gigs where you need more articulation than booty, etc.) I install small spring loaded handles on the bottom of my small cabs (112 or 210) which results in great near field monitoring while not losing that connection to the floor, and also not having the darn thing just blaring in your ear.

IMO!

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks for the input so far. I've thought about the coupling thing albeit I don't know any of the science of it (or even if it is science or lore).

Doesn't our James Hart use one?

5. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i personally dont have/use one (yet!) but when i went to see a friend of mine play a while back, he was using 2 1x12" cabinets, one on the floor, and one up on an amp stand tilted back a bit around waist height. that was THE tightest bass sound ive ever heard. extremely punchy and tight low end. granted this guys sound is always great, but that added another element to it. also helps point your speakers toward more areas of the room, makes it sound fuller in the audience.

im probobly gana pick up a stand and use that setup in the near future.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    James and one or two other guys are using the Quiklok WD-540.
    I use one too -- for my amp rack. It'll handle a pretty big cab OK, in my experience. I don't dig cabs being in my ears too much though, it interferes with how I hear the keys and flute in my primary band.

Personally I find the Gramma pads to work really well with certain cabs in my scary ol' house, without it the floor and walls vibrate like crazy. There are a couple of stages I play on where it seems to help a little bit too, but maybe that' s just expectation bias talking.;)

[​IMG]

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'd be interested to know what stand he was using. FWIW, I'm more interested in the stand being able to tilt the cab up moreso than elevating it up off the ground.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I experienced this with my Berg HT-112. I started putting it up on a crate to get it a little closer to my ear. The result, I lost some of the bottom. I put it back on the floor and it sounds much better.

Joe

9. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    it was definately tilted back, and worked quite well. i'll ask him what stand it is and where it came from.

10. Make sure to consider the spring loaded handle option... great tilt back option, and no extra piece to carry. The only thing you need is four rubber cab feet (a good idea anyway) so that the cab does not sit on the 'tilt back mechanism' when not in use. It's a GREAT option of a 112 or 210 sized cab. EA and Genz Benz build these types of handles into the bottom of some of their cabs, but a high quality spring loaded handle works great.

K

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There are a few nice commercial solutions like the Markbass one and Ampwedge for that, but for smaller cabs I like the fold out handle on the bottom like my EA cab has built in.

The Quiklok model I linked to is all about the height, not the tilt. I don't have any experience with the ones they make for tilting, but I know they do make a few.

BTW, my other solution to tilting is those funny looking top boxes on my DIY stuff. It's really easy to just tilt the top box, and you don't lose any apparent low coupling at all.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I don't use a stand often as I don't use a combo amp and I like to stack my head on my cabinet. This is hard to do with many stands as they tend to slant the cabinet back.

13. FYI as an example. This is a 'short handle' for minimum tilt. You can get a large one that gives you additional degrees of angle also.

stand2.gif

stand1.gif

14. By the way, OT, isn't that the coolest 112 you've seen!?! It's pretty much the smallest box a 112 will work with. It's a coax speaker with a rear port, so the box can be just slightly greater than the height and width of the speaker. It's about 25 pounds, and pretty much kills for a small cab. The B&C tweeter and speaker is just beautiful sounding... sweet and deep!

Sorry for the OT.... I haven't pulled this cab out in a bit... it's a beauty... spray on covering also:bassist:... and, back on topic, that cool tilt back handle:D

15. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    This works really well but looks kind of scary.

GK-AgStandStackSide.jpg

GKAgSide.jpg

GS112Stand.jpg

The stand is a Quik Lok. I don't remember the model.

I never had a problem with the GK head sliding.

I wish I still had that head!

:bawl:

:D

Joe.

16. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I use one on my practice setup (2x10 cab and head). Works very well. Doesn't lift the cab at all, just tilts is back.

17. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    A friend told me about just taking off the back casters and leaving the fronts on...I going to try it with my Bassman 250

18. +1.. that's a great way to tilt a larger cab.

19. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I was thinking about a stand, but I just stack the pair of 112s vertically. I get floor coupling, a tweeter about waist high, and the head at a comfy 42 inches above the floor.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.

Wow that's kind of what I had in mind. I'd be a little leary about the head but if its not too angled I would think it probably wouldn't slide off.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021