amp stands.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HAWKINS, Dec 11, 2003.

Nov 10, 2003
    South Carolina
    i've used amp stands for my guitar amps before, but i can't get a good feel for how it would work with a bass amp.....

i use a hartke combo, 15" speaker.....

i don't mike the amp through the PA.....

my guitarists and drummer are loud (so what else is new?)......i don't care to try to "out-loud" them, but i'd like the bass tone to be appreciated and wonder if elevating it on a stand might allow a better distribution of the bass tones......
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    raising the speaker to ear level or tilting it up to point at your ears will definitely help you hear yourself. Many times, if the speakers are shooting at your pants, you are actually a lot louder in the mix than you think.
  3. Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Just to throw a couple names out, I know the carvin amp stand rocks...

If your looking for some sound improvement issues over loudness, maybe that Auralex GRAMMA amp thing...Good for recording..dont know if you would be able to tell a difference in a live app.

4. I use one on my smaller rig...check these out, they work well. Amp Stands

5. j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    I reckon I would fly that combo right over the stage.
  6. Coming into bass from a hifi perspective, if you want good, well defined bass, you need to make sure that the cab does not go back as the cone goes forward (and forward as the cone goes back). You will lose definition if the stand is not rigid enough, but I cannot comment on whether it would be noticable. However, that is why hifi enthusiasts use floor spikes, sand filled speaker stands etc.

Also, if you raise you cab off the floor, you lose the bass reflection effect, so you will lose some of your lows. A compromise might be to tilt the cab back, but still keep it on the floor.

Start by tilting the cab, or placing it on a table, and listening to it. It's cheaper than buying something and then finding that it changes your tone.
  7. Can anyone recommend a lightweight stand that will work with a Bergantino 112 without wanting to fall over forward?

The stands that I have tried are meant for guitar amps, which are not as deep.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000

I use one of these for my racks, but they are actually made to hold speakers. AMS also sells the WS550, which is a little bigger I think.
  9. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I use the quicklok (I think that's how they spell it) which is the second one pictured in Treena's post.

I think the model is BS-317?? maybe.

It's specifically designed for bass cabs.