Amp storage - is cold bad?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Hey guys,
    winter is fast approaching here in Canada, it's already fall weather and you can feel the dry chills in the air. I live in a unit with underground heated parking, and there's also underground storage units, where I'm planning on stashing my gear so I don't have to keep lugging it up 2 flights of stairs to my place, but my bass will come up with me.
    The underground heated parking/storage units are pure concrete so it does still get cold, but not nearly as cold as it is outside. Is moderate cold (between 5-10°C/40-50°F) going to damage my gear?

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    40 below here sometimes, and they still work fine. Let the condensation dry off before you fire it up though.

3. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    Yeah cold shoulden't do too much, the problem is if there's a quick change from cold to hot (might crack a board), or if there ends up with condensation on the boards while your trying to use it.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There have been reports that some speakers failed when played before they got up to a more normal temperature, but that was back in the JBL days.

You do have to watch for condensation of course. That'll most likely happen when you carry your ice cold gear into a warm, humid room.

I've travelled on the road through some cold Canadian winters myself, when the gear was in an unheated truck all day, without any major problems.

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've stored amps in storage garages in a state that does see
    the end result of those Canadian cold fronts that move in to
    push temps below zero.I've never had any problems.
    Just let em warm up a bit before you fire em up and you
    should do just fine.

6. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Sweet. Thanks guys.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021