1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amp stuff to ask.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vyse933, May 1, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    so, i've been thinking about it..and believe i might be ending up buying my way into getting a 4 ohm cab and two 8 ohm cabs...and i'm wonder what head, if any could actually do this. I'm pretty sure that to have all three of those cabs the amp would have to safely be able to go down too 2 ohms, and have three out puts? so i'm wondering if anyone knows of any heads that go to 2 ohms and have at least three out puts...or if there is a way to use all three cabs while still using just 2 out puts.

i was also wondering what other bass cabinet manufactors are there that you won't find on musicians friend...for example, avatar or dr.bass are the only ones i know of.

2. How do you intend to hook these up? Bi-amping? Running the 2 8-ohm cabs in series? Trying to find an amp with 3 speaker outs?

It kinda depends on how the cabs are connected to the amp. But FWIW, you can rewire a 4 ohm cab to be 16 ohms.

-Nick

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Well there are heads that will do 2ohm (someone composed a list a while back I believe), but generally won't will have 2 outputs (not many have 3+ speaker jacks for the same impedance types). Also, generally the cabs should have 2 jacks inputs in paralell to allow you to "string them togeather".

Ex. Using
    Peavey Max 700 (or any 2ohm amp)
    Cabs A, B, and C.

You could run your A (4ohm) cab connected to one speaker jack in the head. Then use the other speaker jack to connect to the first 8ohm cab (B), and after this use another cable to go from the second jack on cab B to go to cab C.

Thus, you amp is running 3 speakers at 2ohm.

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i'll just do that then. thanks for telling me exactly what i needed to know :)

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Exactly. This is the best solution. I'm still curious if there's an amp out there with three channels or outputs.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Remember though that each of the 8ohm cabs will be getting 1/2 the wattage of the 4ohm cab. This would work fine if your 4ohm cab was a 212, for example, and each 8ohm cab was a 112. However, if all the cabs are similar, I'm not sure the sound will be balanced. Of course, the individual cab efficiency (SPL rating) will have a huge impact also.... with the more efficient cabs being a lot louder.

7. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    yah, i understand. the actual combination of cabs at the moment isn't importent. i could end up having a 4x10 with a 2x10 and a 1x12 (yes i do realise i could achieve the same thing with 6x10 and 1x12...but it's just an example.) who knows though..i'm a crazy guy :bassist:

8. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing what sounds best to you. :)

9. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    ^^ exactly