Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp substitutes with headphones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexssandro, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I'm going to be relocating to Japan soon and I won't have an amp over there. I'm in the market for a "Rockman" type thing which I can use to practice with at home using headphones. (Amps are provided at the studios when I jam, so I'm not concerned with that at the moment.) I've thought about the Bass Pod, but I was wondering if there were any other units out there. I'm not really concerned with a bunch of effects and what not. All I really want is something that gives me a few decent tones, and everything else would just be an added bonus.

2. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
  3. I use the Cafe Walter HA-1. It's very simple (and I do mean very) but it works great for me. I use it with my laptop that way I can play along with both CDs and MP3s.

www.cafewalter.com

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you want a practice tool, you may want to look at the Portable CD players with Guitar inputs from Tascam. I purchased a Tascam CD-GT1 to replace an worn-out Ibanez Rock & Play (cassette player) a few months ago.

The Tascam CD-GT1 is a CD Player with a guitar input. There are a number of effects built-in that are designed for guitar. It also has a built in tuner. There is both a headphone out and a Line out.

The most impressive portion of the CD-GT1 is the CD player.
    One can slow down a song without changing the pitch - good to transcribe those hard passages.
    One can change the pitch of a song without chaning the speed - good for those songs where bands tune down 1/2 step or have other alternate tunings.
    Both the speed and pitch of a song can be changed also.
    A portion of a song can be set to loop - again good for transcribing difficult parts.

Tascam introduced a new version of the CD-GT1 at the NAMM show designed for bass - CD-BT1. It will not be available until October though.

Guitar Version currently available:
    http://www.tascam.com/products/cd-gt1/index.php

Bass Version to ship in October:
    http://www.tascam.com/products/trainers/cd-bt1/index.php

5. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Korg Pandora PX4B. Around US$200 new.
    Or last year's model, the PX3B. Musicians Fiend has them for US$120 new.

Edit: Fixed price for PX3B.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

7. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'll second what redneck2wild said. I love my CD-GT1. I bought the first GT1 Guitar Center here in Houston sold, I'll be first in line when the bass version comes out. I'll give my GT-1 to my kids if they chose the dark side and get a Fender Strat.....at least it's a Fender. :D

8. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll definitely need to look into the different options. (And here I was, thinking the Pod was the way to go!) The CD-GT1 seems very cool and it looks like I'll have to get the bass counterpart someday. I do have a device that slows stuff down already though. It's called the TR-400 and it's made by Reed Kotler. But it's not as user-friendly as the CD-GT1 because I have to digitally record from CD to the device. Fast forwarding and rewinding are a real pain with this device. Still, it works quite well though.

9. You can also mod a cassette walkman to take instrument input as a practice headphone amp. I can dig up the instructions if anyone is interested.

-David