Amp sucking the power out of my room?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tpu2, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Tpu2

Oct 19, 2002
    The other day I sat down and played my bass for a while, not even very long, probably a half hour. All went well, and I went on through my day. Well 11 o'clock rolls around and I decided to go to bed. I walked into my room (my ceiling light was on) and I try to turn on my bed lap which is plugged into the wall. It didn't work, so I tried my bed fan which was right next to my bed and it didn't work. I also tried to turn my amp back on and it didn't work. All these things were not in the same outlet, but they all did not seem to work. I proceded to go around with a hair dryer and try all the outlets in my room. Non of them worked. All the outlets in my brothers room worked (which is next to mine) and the outlets in my moms room worked. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, I mean all the power in the house was on, we flipped the switch and everything. So I go to bed. The next morning when I wake up, everything works? This has happend a few times before, but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. So whats the deal? Am I temporarily sucking all the power of my outlets? Can that even happen? Any ideas would be helpfull, thanks!
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    There may be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. I'd call an electrician.
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm an electrician. You need an electrician.

If your ceiling light is still on when the outlets are dead, it's a sign that whoever wired your house knew what he was doing and took a little extra time so you wouldn't have to hunt around in the dark.

It's probably something minor thats easily fixed but shouldn't be ignored just because it started working again. Lose connections generate heat and THAT generates problems that aren't easily fixed.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, your amp really sucks!!!!

allright, that was horrible, but it needed to be said. anyhow, your amp isnt the problem, although an amp that could do that would be super cool.
  6. maybe there's someone in your house that shut off the circuit breaker to your room to shut you down so they could sleep. (It's just a thought!)