1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp Suggestions for a RIC 4003

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RedMax, Jun 13, 2014.

1. RedMax

RedMax It’s all success if it’s what you need. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    Hey all...

I just picked up a new RIC 4003w and I am in the market to pair it with a decently priced combo or head and cab.

I like a more vintage tone and something that can give me a little growl when needed.

I play is a three piece punk band...think old Green Day from the Lookout Records days.

My budget is 500-1000 bucks.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Even though I no longer have the amp, my Fender Bassman 100T sounded amazing with my 2012 4003. On the vintage channel it drove easily into a classic, sweet Ricky overdrive.

3. Pretty hard to go wrong with a 4003.

Since budget is an issue, and is a bit tight, I would look pretty much only at used gear. Used Ampegs and even Mesas can be had pretty affordably if you're patient.

4. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    A used / discontinued Bergantino HT322 cabinet ($500 - $600), + a GK MB Fusion 500 head (new or used), and you'll be right at the top of the budget with a monster rig for the Rickenbacker.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have an Ampeg SVT 810e cab I picked up used for $375, and an Ampeg PF800 head I picked up for $400. It nails that vintage tone with my 4003, and has plenty of growl, especially when you dig in.

Sartori likes this.
  6. RedMax

RedMax It’s all success if it’s what you need. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2011
    New England
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone used that Orange 212 combo?

7. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

With a $1,000.00 limit, I'd go with a TC Electronic BH500 head, and a TC Electronic BC410 cab. I'm running a 4003 through a similar TC E head, the RH450 with the BC410 cab. The 4003 does very good through it. The BH500 would match up perfect with a BC410 cab. A 4 ohm 500 watt head, going through a 4 ohm 500 watt cab. The head and cab cost about $500.00 bucks each.

kyvntfR.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. I don't have the combo but I have the head it's based on the Terror bass 500 and it is very vintage sounding. Very round tone. Also can get very dirty and filthy if you push the front of it with some type of OD. I also have an Orange 1x15 and it's an awesome sounding cab. Not sure about their 212SP cab but I'm sure it's quite decent.

Orange + Ric is a match made in heaven. But like Sartori said it's hard to make a Ric sound bad.

9. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    map34157 and Sartori like this.