Amp Suggestions - SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevothebassist, May 14, 2012.

1. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006
    Hi,

I was looking for some advice on an amp upgrade I'm going to need in the near future. I play in a hardcore/metal outfit, but we try to keep our influences open and more and more frequently try to bring Latin ideas into our sound.

Amp Background: I've had my SWR Workingman's 4004 and 4X10T for 8-9 years now. I've put it through constant use and, in all honestly, it looks like it. That said, I've always loved the tone I get out of it (not to say I'm a complete audiophile or am that good at discerning minute details). But staying close to this sort of tone is fairly important to me.

I've always had an aversion to every Ampeg I've ever played. They always sounded a bit flat to me, besides being the industry-standard in my genre.

Reason for Upgrade: My band has been getting more serious; we recently got signed to an indie label, signed with a US & Canadian booking agency, and have been hitting the road more and more consistently.

That said, it's getting a little embarrassing showing up to concerts with my little half stack when every other bassist has their SVT 8X10's surrounding mine.

Does anybody have any suggestions on amps I should consider, given my tone choice?

If it helps, here is a link to my band's Facebook page so that you can hear my general sound. If you would, try listening to 'Connections' for a clearer bass passage.
    http://www.facebook.com/johnnyboothmusic

Sorry for the length, but I figure I'll get a better answer if you know my story! PLEASE SUGGEST AWAY! :help::help::help:

2. Whats your budget? What kind of transportation space to you have?

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Maybe you could give us a couple more clues about what you want to change about your rig. Right now we have an idea of the sound you like, and what you say is the problem is how the rig looks next to other bands' rigs. If looks (and I'm guessing size) are what matters, then just get an 8x10 cab to go with your current head. If you want to impress everyone more, then get four 2x12 cabs, for an 8x12 stack. :) No, I'm not kidding. Just make sure the total load isn't lower than your amp's minimum load.

One thing to consider is that buying a new amp won't necessarily get you more "loudness" (if that's part of what you want), while buying a larger (and ideally more efficient) speaker stack will almost definitely get you more loudness, from the same amp.

4. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006
    Budget's kinda up in the air, I'd probably estimate something in the $1000-1500 range for something I'd be decently happy with. I'd be looking for used deals also once I found a model I was interested in.

Transportation-wise, we just got a 5x8 Trailer, so I have plenty of space. Figure I'm looking for a good 8x10 sized cab and a rack-mount head that I'd be getting a power conditioner for.

Side note: If you know any good independent companies, I am on the hunt for sponsorships also!

5. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006

Point taken, look is one thing that's kind of pushed me. But I'm looking for something deeper also. I've been somewhat interested in the Mesa Boogie 4x10/1x15 Cabinet. Loudness is going to become more and more of an issue in the coming months, though I could see running my head at 4ohms and being fine with its output.

I'm a little against the idea of getting 2 or more cabinets though -- load-in is irritating enough without adding trips in and out. Maybe when we can hire roadies :smug:

6. I cant listen to your sound clips at work, so I have no idea what style of music you are playing. For my money in a full range cab I would be looking at a greenboy Dually 215. They will out perform most 810's, sound great, and wont break your back. If you are open to a cab with a cross over I would look at either a fEARful 15/6 or a 1212/6. As for the head, that is up to you on tonal requirements. Right now I'm gassing for a Streamliner 900 and a GK MB800. If you are looking at a rack mount there are some great options in Pre/power set ups as well, I am also gassing for an ART tube channel and a light weight power amp.

Forget the power conditioner it doesnt do anything that a $10 surge protector does.

7. This set up doesnt net you any more lows, and in some cases wont net you any volume either. I highly recommend you do a search on why mixing drivers is not the best operating scenario if you are building a rig.

I agree, I am seriously gassing for a 39 pound Dually 215 right now. EASY load in and out.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll want to check out the recent threads we've had about mixing 410 with 115. It's a bad idea, and the only reason Mesa made a cab like that is because consumers with cash often get caught up in bad ideas.

Also important to know that a 15 is NOT inherently going to go any lower than 4 10's. You have to look at how the cab overall is tuned, not the diameter of the speaker cones. To make the point, look at Phil Jones cabs--they use a large number of 5" cones, and they go lower than many 115's.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Bongo and CL400 are right about the 410/115 thing IMHO. If you like SWR, get a big SWR rig with a Goliath 810. I used to use an SM-500 for a couple of years before I went back to Ampeg for good. They DO have knobs and switches if they sound flat to you ;)

10. stevothebassist

stevothebassist

Sep 2, 2006
    Hmm, I'll have to do some reading on that; never considered any issues w combination cabs. Guess that simplifies my search a bit.

And Jimmy, I admittedly don't have a lot of experience w Ampeg, but the few times I've used it, I just couldn't get the twang I was looking for.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

So why not face lift your existing rig and match your 410 for a 810 stack? You could even strip the cabs and go LineEx for a crisp updated look?

12. Find a Henry 8x8!

13. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I'm a big Mesa fan; the Powerhouse 2 x 12" cabs have great sound and headspace. I have a Carbine M6 amp, and I play metal with huge volume - no problems!
    Plus, if you ever have to add cabs, there's a 2-ohm switch on the Carbine heads, which will allow you to run low-impedance with no problems.
    I suggest playing through a Carbine M6 or M9, the Walkabout, and one of the M-Pulse amps, if you can find one. Great sound, great quality, great for metal!

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    i suggest taking your amp and testing out a few cabs to figure out which one you like. Possibly refin your head and you'll be set.

Maybe there are a few TBrs in your area that have some cabs that they can let you check out.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Where I live, the 8x10" SWR cabs come up cheap fairly often, and you can get good 4x10" Goliath IIIs usually for around $300-$350 on CraigsList. I know, because I've bought a few -- in nice shape.

Two Goliaths are a lot more manageable than one 8x10". :meh:

The Pro-Series SWR stuff is really nice -- expensive and with very high-quality components, low noise floor -- but you can get the heads used pretty cheaply, especially in this economy. :(

You're right to be concerned with your presentation and it never hurts to have matching, pro-quality gear.

16. IMO if you are liking the SWR workingman sound you should either look at a decent GK or Eden head - probably more the GK direction, they are making some good powerful light weight heads. and get a decent 810 to go with it - maybe an SWR 810

Another alternative is the SWR Marcus Miller preamp with a decent light weight poweramp like the crown XLS1500 bridged into an 810

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021