Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jimbo, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone

well i'm looking to get myself a serious amp since i'm starting to be playing gigs. i've read a lot on this stuff here at TB but i don't know what to get.

i figure i should get a combo since i'll be playing small venues. i want something that gets good low end with really good mids and highs. i play a MIM jazz fretless. i play in a mellow rock band and in a jazz combo. and i do want power available when i need it but clarity is the top priority. i'm looking to get the fattest, thickest tone possible.

plus i want to be able to play it before i buy it. my local music store carries only crates and marshalls, i don't like the sound. i'm think i'm going to hit my local guitar center and sam ash, but i'd like an idea going in.

and money-well i'm not prepared to drop a huge amount of cash but if its a little pricy i might put some more in if it's quality and a proven workhorse

so thanks everyone for any suggestions

-jimbo

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There's a ton of options for combos... My favorite for 'small' venues would be the Ampeg B100R... portable, great 'classic' tone and 100 very loud watts. Plus, it looks cool! I'm sure that other opinions will be along shortly...

-robert

3. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Never pass up a Laney. If there is one anywhere play on it.

A DP-150 would be a great amp for what you are wanting and there are lots of them used,

tk

4. I played throught a Fender Bassman 100 for a church gig once and was very impressed with the tone. That might be one to check out.

Bassman 100

Stay Low,

BT

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :rolleyes: maybe you'll be better off passing it up... i have a small laney combo and i cant sell it, it is so bad-sounding; and all the solderings had to be re-soldered...

Are you sure you want a combo? maybe it will be better if you get a good head and a separate cab: this way it is easier to change one part if you dont like it or it goes wrong; it is also easier to upgrade or to repair.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    OH and almost forgot: if you want a good combo, try a Gallien-Krueger MB150

7. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    thats a good point. but i figured i should go for a combo because its 1.) cheaper and 2.) i don't need a lot of power at this stage in the game. am i thinking along the right lines?

thanks for all the suggestions, i come home for winter break this thursday so i'm gonna hit up my local music stores this weekend and check some of this stuff out.

-jimbo

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are thinking fat, round tone, I think you'll find 115 combos preferable to 210 combos.

I would also at least consider separates. The flexibility and expansion opportunities are nice. Plus, even a 200 watt combo is not a particularly powerful amp. If you want genuine sonic clarity as well as full range response, you'll need some headroom.

300-400 watts is a pretty modest bass amp for gigging.

Apart from that advice, I think between Sam Ash and GC, you should be able to listen to enough of them to decide your preference.

For the most part, you'll get what you pay for.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Take a look at Yorkville as well. Nice solid combos that play and sound well.

Dan

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    This thread will slowly expand to recommend every amp currently in production and half of those that are no longer made :rolleyes:

Set yourself a budget, go to all the stores in your area and try EVERY amp within your budget (for that matter try those over your budget, too...you may find you need a larger budget!).

Then after you find 2 or 3 you like, come back here and ask for more info on those.

Good luck.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's all relative to how loud you need to be and how wide a dynamic range you want to have. I gigged for a long time with combo amps ranging from 20 :eek: to 75 watts. I finally did buy a 400 watt amp head in 1988 but have never used anything more powerful and do not find myself lacking headroom.

Yes, the lower cost of high wattage amps has led to the current trend for 1000+ watt bass rigs but it's really not a necessity.

12. Another thing about your new setup. Most combos now adays have a line out or FX loop send or tuner out that can be used to feed a slave amp. so if you ever do need a "big rig" you could find a power amp, and they are relatively inexpensive on a per watt basis, and another cab. It also gives you a ton of flexibility for different sized gigs.

IMHO, you want to avoid any combo of less than 100 W (so try the bassman200 instead of the 100), and anything with less than 1x12 speaker. Unless you have loads to spend and can afford Euphonic or Phil Jones. Although the PJB briefcase sounds like an interesting possibility.

The budget thing is good. Set your limit before you go to the store. Otherwise it's like going to the grocery store hungry, you always end up buying stuff you don't need.

have fun,

BT

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Agreed. 1000 watts is really not a necessity. I have 350 and always operated with the idea that any need for more volume than it will make means you need a better PA, not a bigger amp.

As you mention, it is all relative, but IMO, 100 watts is never going to get you a decent sound anywhere bigger than a coffee house with a 3 piece.

Of course if your idea is to always use reinforcement and the amp is pretty much a DI source/stage monitor it is all moot.