amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jerryoram, Feb 7, 2001.

1. jerryoram

Feb 7, 2001
    what is a good beginners amp heard a trace@elliot liked the features but was to expensive,solid state or tube?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What Trace Elliot was too expensive? Prices vary a lot, from the cheaper combos and heads to the AH1000-12 (which is ridiculously overpriced IMO).

What does one mean with a "beginners amp" anyway? Supposedly an amp that is cheap and doesn't sound too awful to use, right? If price is a big deal, you go solid state. Tube amps are usually more expensive than SS amps (unless you find them used), and require an occasional change of tubes, which costs money.

So virtually anything that gets you going will do. You will only keep a "beginners amp" until you're no longer a beginner, and want something better.

But, no matter how cheap they are, Rogue and Samick are bad choices.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've seen some of the newer players here mention they bought the Fender Bassman 60 going for around $380.

However, I guess they didn't consider that for $20 more they can get a Carvin Pro Bass 200 with more than twice the wattage and a 15" instead of the Fender 12" that will melt the diodes in that Fender. You might compare them at the Fender and Carvin websites.
  4. I agree totally, Keep in mind,where are you going to practice? My single 15 (MESA/BOOGIE Buster 200) shakes my entire apt and all the apts in my building, which can lead to problems.....Rickbass1 is pointing you in the right direction if you want Bang for the Buck...Check out Crate, they have some fun effects on their amps, also the SWR Workingmans 10.....But again Bang for the Buck, Carvin stands alone.....