Amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Couchslouch, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Couchslouch

Couchslouch

Oct 31, 2017
    Hey, I'm on the market for an amp and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I have a mesa boogie 4x10 powerhouse cabinet and its 600 watts and i was wondering what would be a good combination with it. I play mainly grindcore, powerviolence, hardcore, death metal, sludge, and sometimes crust. I wanna make sure it's loud enough to play small venues like basement shows and stuff like that. I can't spend more than 1000 and even 1000 is pushing it for me, I'm shooting more for 300 to 700 but I'd rather have a better amp and wait awhile before I can afford it than to buy an amp I quickly won't have a use for. I play a 4 string Ibanez gio and I play in b standard tuning. I have been looking at the gallien Krueger 400rb bc the band spazz uses it and i an really found if their bass tone but I wanna learn more about what's out there and what other folks might think is a good setup for me. Thank you

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Check Reverb.com for some deals on GK 400rb

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    With your budget you can score a used GK 700.
    Better match power wise for that Mesa.

AstroSonic and Stumbo like this.
  4. Couchslouch

Couchslouch

Oct 31, 2017
    Thank you so much!!

5. Couchslouch

Couchslouch

Oct 31, 2017
    Oh, isn't the cabinet supposed to be rated at least twice what the amps wattage rating Is? Or is that just for guitar gear or tube amps? I saw the 700rb is rated for 450 and I was curious if that would.be an issue

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies

I've heard that before, but it doesn't make sense because you can pop speakers with less than a cabs rated power handling. You can run a 1 watt or 1000 watt head into a cab rated for only 100 watts power handling; it just takes some experience and knowledge to know when enough is enough with the volume and EQ controls.

Stumbo likes this.
  7. Couchslouch

Couchslouch

Oct 31, 2017
    Oh poopie okay. So be careful with the volume then

8. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Use any amp with any cab. Listen! If it's starting to fart out, back off!

Stumbo likes this.
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'd at least try an orange ad 200 and a mesa boogie d180 just for the hell of it