Amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Assumer, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Hey guys
    Currently playing an Eden WT400. Love the sound but am looking for a few more watts. Is there much difference between the 400 and the 550? ANy other suggestions knowing I like the sound of the eden with teh aguilar cabs? Play at church a variety of slower stuff and basic rock stuff.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i doubt the 550 watts will be any louder. there's a formula somewhere in the forum about how you'd need 10x the volume for a doubling of perceived volume. but dont quote me on that!

and while i could rattle off all these larger heads, lets try a different approach.

how much wattage are your guitarists running? are they playing at full blast? if they are, then you'd best be ready with 4x their wattage. using this formula, you should have no problem hangin' tough against a guitarist blasting a 100 watt amp.

and connected to that, also, do you have PA support? are you sending a DI out to the PA? if so, then IMHO, you only need a rig that's loud enough to compete onstage with those pesky guitars.

so, have you tried EQ'ing a bit more upper mids for cut, and maybe a bit more lower mids for extra chest pounding punch in your sound? usually, myself included, peeps tend to boost the lows and kill the highs for that sweet chocolately sound, but onstage under the din and overlap of the other instruments, it just turns to a muddy mush that does nothing more but cover everything in a blanket of wool, pissing off your bandmates (oi... do i know...:meh: ).

the great thing about the WT line is the very extensive EQ options, which'll help you find a great sound to a very versatile degree. unfortuantely, i also found the "enhance" knob only made things worse, by sucking out the more stouter sounding mids for a softer, less punchie sound. i usually kept it totally off.

if you tried all these things, then cant do much else, but save your pennies for another amp. :rolleyes:
  3. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    From my understanding, more wattage basically means more power to the low end frequencies. When you get into the -50hz range, there's a greater power requirement. I know nothing about Edens amps but the difference between the 400 and 550 might be the amount power being used by the bottom end frequencies. To get a louder rig, perhaps more cabnets might be needed.
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Depends....are you using an 8ohm cab with that eden 400?
    If you are your probably only getting 235 watts out of that Eden head.
    If your loading your amp with 4 ohms total, (two 8 ohm speaker cabs) then your getting 400 watts rms out of that scenario. So a WT550, whats that rated at? A 4 ohm load on the 550 gives you what 500 watts@ 4 ohms? I'm just guessing.

Probably hear some difference, more headroom, cleaner between 235 watts and 500. But not so true between 400 and 500 watts.

You need to really double or triple your power before you really get a perceivable difference.

(That is assuming the loud guitar players are a constant in your situation)
  5. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I agree with where the previous thread was going. Add another gs112 to pull more wattage and increase speaker area. You should hear a fairly noticeably difference.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the biggest advantage to using a 550 is the ability to run at 2 ohms and use more cabinets. With an 8 ohm or 4 ohm load you won't notice a difference (you need double the watts for a 3 dB increase in volume, which is generally the smallest difference a person can hear). I've found that the 400 does much better volume wise with a 4 ohm load over an 8 ohm one.
  7. Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Thanks for the replys guys. I am running two 1x12s at the moment. I think I just be getting a case of gas. I will try some of the suggestions and see if I can save money this way.
    Thanks again!