1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shatterd, Mar 14, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I played guitar for almost two years before just recently switching over to bass. Jeeeez how I love the bass Soooooo much more than guitar.

I bought a new bass and amp to get started and have been taking some lessons.

I hope to spend approx. one year developing my technique before I start doing gigs, recordings, or trying to get in a band.

Anyway, the amp I bought to get started with was a Line 6 Lowdown 110 studio. Great for the house it seems and sounds pretty good. It's 75 watts and just loud enough that my wife tells me to turn it down, but no way does it have the horsepower to play with a drummer.

At some point in the future I'll be ready to get a better amp, one I can grow into and take to jams, rehearsals, or on stage.

Can you guys help me out and suggest a good amp to hold me over for a few years...or longer.

The bass I bought was G&L Tribute L2000. My favorite music is progressive rock and metal, alternative, and a little funk and fusion. Bands I like are Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, 3, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.

Please suggest.

I might be willing to spend 700 to 1200 dollars max. This will have to cover a combo or a head and cab.

Also, what are some basic effects I might consider once I'm ready to gig.

I'm adapting to the bass fairly rapidly thanx to my time with the guitar, but I still have a lot to lear.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    There are so many brands out there that are absolutely great that it's too tough to name just a couple. Just read the comments about amps, and go to the music stores and go play a bunch.

Me, I use a Markbass Mini CMD121P combo and a vintage Ampeg B-15 cab as my main rig. You can buy the amp separately as well (Little Mark II). But everyone will give you their opinions, I'm sure.

Effects most commonly used on bass are compression, distortion, envelope filter, and chorus/flanger.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

4. Also look at Ashdown, Kustom, Hartke, Warwick and Marshall

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Used Carvin B1500 w/ 1900 freakin' 4 ohm watts bro ($450-$550 ebay, TB, etc & worth sooo much more). Best amp I've ever owned in 20 years of playing and less than half the price of the ones I've sold since gettin it: Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and SVT 3 Pro!

Dr Bass cabs have a great rep, I'm waiting on my 2460D....hand built and priced fairly, expect a long wait! I've been happy with my Ampeg cabs over the last 15 years. But, now they're made in Viet Nam and are CRAP!

One things for sure, the B1500 rocks!! I share many of your influences too, and play sorta like a mix of Tim commerford and Flea w/ some Les Claypool mixed in there (I'm not worthy of washing their socks, though :)). The Carvin will do it for you.

6. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Developing technique before joining a band sounds good. BUT, some feel the best way to develop technique is while in a band.

I bought my first bass in '89 (first instrument=no musical background at all) because my best friends were forming a band. I was playing Guns n Roses covers a month later, writing my own stuff shortly after that. Tried taking lessons 2 years later, and other than music theory (which bores me) I couldn't get anything from it. I still someday, plan on learning to read music. But, so far my ear guides me so well I haven't needed it.

Effects: After learning good technique, which may take a while.... get a good compressor (Keeley is my choice).

Just my 2 cents :):bassist:

7. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks for all the good advice so far!!!!

8. I would suggest the

Eden WT800
    Eden D410xlt

You will have to go used and reach a little deeper (maybe 1500 or so) but it is worth it in my opinion...