Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by HighFive, Jul 27, 2002.

1. HighFive

HighFive

Jul 27, 2002
    Hi - I have a plywood bass with Labella nylon wound strings and a K&K Bass Max pickup. I play jazz (all different types) and I'm looking for the best bass amp that I can get- for $1000 or less. I'm primarily looking for either a 1x10, 2x10, or 1x12 cab and an amp that will have a natural sound and can crank if I need it to on large gigs. I tried out a SWR workingman's 12 but didn't like the sound of it. I'm also looking at the SWR workingman's 10, some Edens, and the Gallien Krueger MB150S (12 inch combo). Euphonic Audio look great, but the price and complexity is on the high side. Not really interested in Acoustic Image, they don't seem to have what it takes to play on large gigs as well as small ones.

Also, size is a definite consideration. I would prefer a combo (for portability) and something reasonably lightweight. However, I am willing to trade portability for sound quality.

Recommendations? Adivice? All is welcome...

Thank you in advance

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Spend the extra couple hundred bucks and go with the EA iamp combo. If it's volume you need, you won't do a whole lot better. If you need still more, you can always add an extension cab.

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    What didn't you like in the WM12?
    You can tweak the tone a lot with the tone controls. At first I was disorientated too, but quickly found my sound.
    (I also bought the 1x10T extension cab)
    The WM12 has a very deep tone. The midrange is not as flat as I expected, but it's not a big issue.
    I set the bass control at 2 o'clock, the midrange at 10 o'clock and treble flat (12 o'clock).
    The tone is very open, very wide.
    Just my personal experience.

4. I agree 100%

5. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    I just got back from the Nashville NAMM show where I was in close proximity to Euphonic Audio. As a bass player myself, I'm compelled to let you all know about several new amps EA has introduced - featuring Class D (Walter Woods level) power sections, as well as a new speaker cabinet (powered/unpowered) that has a very strong focus toward upright use. I'm sure there are details on the EA website. I have to say that the new stuff sounds *really* great. If you liked their earlier offerings, you ought to check out the newest models. If you've never checked out EA gear... now would be a good time.

We played our new fully hollow, hand carved EuroCoustic series basses through the new EA rig, and everything sounded pretty amazing. All that acoustic upright dynamic really came through - the full range of the sonic spectrum.

And did I mention that EA is trying to keep everything really lightweight too? Especially for the upright guys.

I ran across some other cool upright bass pickup and amplification discoveries in my Nashville NAMM travels. If anyone is interested, I think I'll just make a few notes on our home page, and maybe add some Links so you can gather more info on your own. You know where to find us if you're interested. (These are all just my own personal opinions, of course.)

- Steve
    www.azola.com

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Did you get to try out the new iamp 800 head? I've been waiting a LONG TIME for this to come out, and am trying to find out if it's worth the wait. I suspect that it is, but any new info would be greatly appreciated.

7. Hopefully (All Hail) Bob Gollihur may be able to share some insights on the very interesting new EA items that Steve Azola mentioned...

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've been busy updating my Acoustic Image pages, since their stuff will be available during August, with EA's stuff coming out in September. I do have all the specs and information, it's just taking time to update the pages.

The new EA "Whizzy" 12 combo utilizes a single 12" driver with a whizzer cone; perhaps you've seen them in auto speakers and others. It's a small cone projecting from the area around the voice coil, to improve high frequency response, since the Whizzy has no tweeter. It has an internal 200w amp and the preamp section from the iAMP 350. The amp drives only the cabinet; if you want more, powered cabinets are available, to daisy chain for another 200w 12" driver, cheaper without the preamp, of course. Nice size and light. Details to come at www.urbbob.com/ea.html ASAP.

I'm expecting iAMP 800 heads in September; I have a bunch on order. Same look as the iAMP 350 but a little wider since it adds a built-in Sabine tuner like the iAMP 500 and 600. But the difference, as Steve mentioned, is the lightweight power amp design, which means this 800 watt amp (into 4 ohms, 1000w into 2 ohms) will weigh around 18-19 lbs.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Still rack-mountable, I hope?

10. Thanks for the info, Bob! You're always coming through to rescue me from my G.A.S. recovery! And to think that I wasn't going to purchase anything this year....:D

11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Not wider than a rack, it's 3.5 high, 15.75 wide, 8 deep. I'll have to get current info on rack mounting; there was some discussion about it a couple months ago, but I should note that the dimensions above are preceded by "rack mountable" in the brochure I received from EA.

12. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I would go with the EA. Yes it's expensive but well worth it. You really won't be sorry.
    I believe I saw a VL208 at coolbasses.com recently and one on ebay. Search for Euphonic Audio on E bay and it'll come up. The 208 is a terrific upright speaker. It's not a combo but you should get a good price used. Raezer's edge also makes really good speakers (I own the 8T tower) but I prefer the EA's for their ability to handle louder volume gigs.

13. 2 Best portable upright amps I've used:

1-SWR Baby Blue
    2-GK MB150S

I didn't feel I sacrificed sound for portability on either amp. They both sounded great.