1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp Tech: my tube swap didn't work: Yorkie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, May 7, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

ok, so I posted a few weeks ago seeking advice. I had an unwelcome distortion in my yorkie XS400 that only showed when running up [like 80% and up] the Tube Gain/Overdrive, while simultaneously using 50% or more compression on my Yorkie. Other than that, life was good. I could back way off or eliminate the el cheapo compressor, or back down the OD, and life was OK [just a lot less beef]. The odd sound was a lot like a cheap Behringer "Ultrabass" with their prized circuit "in"... it sounded like a double or mirror-tone of the fundamental, that would sustain like mad....

On your recommendations, I bought a JJ Tesla ECC 83S replace for the stock Sovtek 7025/12AX7. Not the "Hi Gain".... i got enough gains going on. The swap DID fix Problem A, but introduced a worse "Problem B". Now the tone goes dirty in a hurry...... Its not that its got a lotta MEAT..... it has no more overall depth & charm than before, but there is an odd distortion [like a lightweight "Dirty" tone] that sets in as little as 50% of the tube OD, and I'm not convinced that the Compressor matters at all. I can't really warm up the beef without that faint but ugly dirt. Its like a disharmonic tone that introduces itself between otherwise harmonic tones/overtones.

Bottom Line :meh: I'm willing to buy tubes ad infinitum but need to know what's up.

WHAT IS THE CLEANEST, CLEANEST, SUPER CLEAN MOST TOLERANT TUBE I CAN GET TO REPLACE THE STOCK SOVTEK 12AX7 ????????????????????:confused: :confused:

thx gang
    z

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Call and talk to Bob at Eurotubes 503-659-7401 tell him what amp you have what the problem was and what you want and he can recommend something to you.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I thought he was a JJ importer and sold them exclusively?

anyway, I like the EHX 12AX7 and 12AT7 I bought from www.tubedepot.com as well as the 2 JAN Phillips 12AX7 I bought barely used here on TB..... in MY amp. I'd buy some more EHX if I needed to replace any pre tubes.

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    thx guys. i can sure use some advice at this point! this distracts me so much that its hurting my playing. [and I don't have a lotta 'headroom' there!]

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd contact tthe guys at Yorkville and see what they suggest.