1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp that approximates the DB750's punch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Les Izmor, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    I posted last week about a similar issue, but I've narrowed my problem down to this:

My Ashdown ABM500 is not a suitable back up for my DB750. I know, don't laugh.... They are nothing alike, but when I got the Ashdown (way before the DB750), I was playing with a quieter band, and my tone goals were different. I still like the squishy sound of the Ashdown- at lower volumes. However, I now realize that I need something that is way tighter, punchier and louder.

Occasionally, I need a stand in for my Aguilar DB750. Last night I had to bring my Ashdown and it just didn't cut it. Literally. I boosted the mids and cranked the volume - but there was just no "there" there. I'm being serious, it didn't deliver any of the punch and girth I need.

Lower on the list of priorities is that the back up amp be slightly lighter, but that is not the major criteria. Loud, punchy, and tight tone is.

Last week KJung suggested I look into the Acoustic Image amps (though I had worded my issue slightly differently in that post).

What other suggestions do you guys have for a loud, tight backup for a DB750? Should I be looking into Thunderfunk, AG500, LittleMark 800? Crest CA6 with a preamp?

P.S. I play an early 70's jazz bass and I run my amps into an Eden 212xlt 98% of the time. The other 2% I haul out the Ampeg 8x10.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just posting here so people don't think I'm nuts saying a Focus sounds like a DB750 :D. Putting that suggestion in context, with that specific modern, ported cab, the warm mids and organic tone of the AI amps, and the power of the Focus III 1R into a large 4ohm cab, can do a pretty good job of emulating the warm, clean but tubey mids of the DB750. IMO, the 212XLT can't take advantage of the huge low end capability of the DB750 anyway (IMO), so that's where my rather unusual suggestion came from.:cool:

3. Les Izmor

Les Izmor

Mar 10, 2008
    Western Mass
    I didn't want your comment to be taken out of context, which is why I mentioned how I had articulated a slightly different need in my other post. Hope people read carefully.

Anyway, what cab do you think would take advantage of the DB750 low end? The DB112?

Also, Kjung, what is your opinion of the Thunderfunk? Tight, punchy and loud?

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    DB750......there is no substitute.:smug:

Some are saying that the Carvin B1500 can get pretty close to the punch of the DB750. Considering how relatively inexpensive it is, it might serve as a nice backup.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I'm only familiar with the 550, and I would describe it as warm, tight, punchy, and moderately loud (no more than your Ashdown500). However, the low end is MUCH tighter than the DB750, and the mids are MUCH stronger and more articulate than the DB750.

I am not familiar with the new TF750a, but I understand it has a more extended low end versus the DB750.

Per the Carvin B1500, I like that head a LOT better than the DB750, but mainly because it puts out the same wump, but sounds totally different (closer to my personal tone goals of clean, tight, relatively accurate, with plenty of mid punch and sparkly up top if I need it).

IMO!

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think you should look at the Thunderfunk 750A - it is definitely tight, punchy and loud with a much bigger sounding low end than earlier T-Funks. It packs a pretty mean kick...

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would look to that amp as a replacement for the DB750. That's a pretty expensive 'back-up':eek:

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lighter, more power, better EQ, less expensive ==> Mesa Titan. The M9 looks rad as well. An M6 would probably even do the trick.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The M6 will give you every bit of the volume that the DB750 is capable of---in a tighter, more articulate way. It won't, IME, have that huge, fat sound of the DB750, however.

It's also VERY simple to get a good, usable sound out of the M6 right out of the box, as it has a pretty straight-forward EQ on it. It's also quite reasonably priced.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 TOTALLY different voicing, but similar ooomph.

Again, my suggestion above was based on the logic that he wanted a back-up to his DB750, which me means something with at least a somewhat similar tone profile that is smaller, lighter, and less expensive.

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    The 750A is the only Thunderfunk I am familiar with, so I can't compare to older models. However, compared to other amps than T-funks there isn't much big low end IMO, it still sounds pretty compressed to me. It is however probably the punchiest, and "quickest" amp I have ever played through.

FWIW.

12. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I was wondering if a head like the carbine paired with something line the tone hammer could get close to a 750..of course it won't BE a 750 but you would have a very flexible setup without some of the weight.

Mark

13. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry - I didn't mean to imply the 750A has a fat, tube-like low end bloom - it certainly doesn't. It is definitely a tighter bottom end, but with a wider sounding cabinet and active bass I certainly wouldn't call it compressed sounding, either (at least to my ears). I find it to have thundering, yet controllable lows - in fact, on my last gig I found myself dialing back on the lows on a couple of occasions through the night...

I believe Tommixx (forgive me if I'm wrong on this) has compared it in the past to the DB750, including the EQ required to bring them close - a quick search could pull this up. If the OP is looking for tight, punchy and loud, I can't think of a better amp than the TFunk 750A. I also played out with mine through an 810 quite a bit and got lots of compliments from the band and patrons regarding my tone...

Just my .02

14. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Indeed, it does tight, punchy and loud extremely well. Build quality and general feel is also very, very impressive.

15. No offense to any amp manufacturer out there but there is NO other amp that gives you the girth of the sound that a DB750 does! I attribute the heft of the notes to the Transformers and the MOSFET power section of the DB750. Most people do not realize that the DB 750 is THE ONLY Bass amplifier (and in fact, ONE of the ONLY AMPLIFIERS built!!!) that can produce its FULL OUTPUT POWER across the entire frequency range. This gives if a HUGE power reserve as well as producing a fuller sounding note by virtue of its output of that note. I have had 6 DB750s and I just cant not get away from them. A good tube swap to some Telefunkens or your choice of Tubes and it is just addictive through a great cab!!! With that said I have tried everything to find something lighter that can give you that tone and the Thunderfunk is the closest by far. The TF750 nearly ended my GAS for the DB750 but it just does not give the girth that the DB750 does. To be fair it is not a TUBE amp either nor does it have the PAIR of Transformers the DB750 does. I think Dave Funk is a genius for getting as close as he has!! I do not know how he does it. The TF750 can be made to tonally sound nearly identical to a DB750. HOWEVER, it is NOT going to be exactly like one and it just will not be as warm and fat as a DB750 no matter what you do. If you A/B them side by side through the same cab you would be amazed at how simialr they sound without the girth. In my opinion that is the only thing missing, the girth, the sheer sense of size of the note. To get the same tone find my post about it but essentially go to the Parametric and dial up the same center Frequencies on the EQ of 440 HZ and 4K and use them to taste just as you would on the Aggie...You will be amazed at the results!!!! Makes me want another TF750!!!

Peace,

T

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How much does the DB750 weigh, and how much does the TF750 weigh?

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

21 pounds and two rack space for the TF750a versus around 41 pounds and three rack spaces for the DB750.

Interesting on the posts above. While the DB750 does have a lot of full, deep low end, it doesn't punch to me. There's a real issue for me with the midrange voicing and minimum control of that amp. I greatly prefer the Thunderfunk, but that's just me. I have a feeling the DB751 might have some improvement in this area.

I'm kind of confused about recommending an $1,800 amp (TF750a) as a back-up for the DB750:eek: A replacement maybe, but as a back-up, not so much IMO. To me a back-up is a much smaller, lighter, amp that has a similar tone profile but not all the wump, weight and size of the primary amp.

18. I agree on the punch statement...I would call it heft instead of punch. Maybe somebody is mischaracterizing what they are hearing I don't know. The DB750 is very much a one trick pony for me but if you need that particular trick there is none better. I also agree about the "backup amp" part to. I only answered because someone mentioned me by name...if I were looking for a backup for a DB750 it would not be a TF750 for the reasons you stated but if I were going to replace the DB750 the TF750 would be the ONLY amp I would consider. For a backup amp I would be looking for something very small like the Genz or the Little Mark that could go right in a gig bag without having to worry about another rack of gear. To me, backup also means just that...I NEVER use it unless my primary fails or does not get to the gig for some reason...

Peace,

T

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... It's tough to find a reasonable back-up (i.e., a smaller amp to use at smaller gigs that 'sounds like' your primary amp) when you really like an amp with a unique voice like the DB750.

20. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Tom and KJung are pretty accurate here - the TF750 has a more focused punch to it, while the DB750 just pummels physics into submission.

I think of it this way: The TF can put a hole in your wall; the DB can level the house.

Both are excellent amps, but I wouldn't consider a TF for backup duty, it's a different flavor entirely and good enough to be a main amp. Not for me, but for someone. :)