Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amp theorizing (yeah, again)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Dec 17, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    With christmas coming up, I've dumbed it down to one of two things, either an amp, or (much needed) new computer.

So far, I really liked the BAM 210, but I'm skeptical on how loud it will be.

I heard someone else mention the "80's stingray setup" with a G-K head, and Hartke cab.

That really sent a light off in my head. I found the 800RB head to be a really nice head, but kind of a tiny bit too warm (with the cabs I was playing through, which were bag end's)...

I think that this might actually be a great setup.

I was thinking possibly G-K 800RB with a Hartke 2x15, or a Hartke 4x10. Any ideas?

I usually play with like an ultra high-mid boost (about 1.4k) on my current amp.

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Whats wrong with your current amp?

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

It does what I want it to do, but it doesn't do it *exactly*.

I want a brighter sound than I'm getting right now. (not a clicky, or "in your face" type of sound, just brighter than what I'm getting right now)

I tried the G-K 800RB through a few cabs before, and it seemed too warm for me, but I also was playing through a set of bag ends.

I'm trying to figure out my priorities, as far as getting the tone I want. Someone suggested trying a SWR Henry the 8x8. I think something like that, or a Hartke (aluminum) 4x10 might be what I'm looking for.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Buddy, get an Eden D-410XLT and stop the guessing around of what sound you want. The Eden will give you it.

BTW, My Carvin DCM2000 poweramp came in today. :D :D :D

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nope, the Eden thing's not my bag.

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Ok, try another high-end brand thats more bland, excuse me, I mean clean, hi-fi, studio quality sounding cabinet, like an EA or Acme. Good cabs. The Acmes aren't expensive, FYI. EAs, on the other hand, can get a pretty penny for. But maybe used?

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Possibly, flat cabs tend to click, for me though, which I don't care for.

I've played the EA's with the G-K 800RB, that was my only real gripe (the clicking).

I'm thinking either the G-K 800RB with an SWR 8x8, or maybe Hartke 4x10, or something of the sort.

8. "Amp theorizing (yeah again)"

Dang CE you do that so often you could list it in your profile under "hobbies' hahaha!
    :p

That and "flaming"! :D

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    :D

I've actually been giving the 800RB a lot of thought, lately... I think it might be what I'm looking for, after all. It could've been either the acoustics of the room that I was playing the 800RB in (which were horrible) or the bag ends, which made it sound kind of boomy.

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    man, one of the finest bass tones i've ever heard was a stingray 5 thru a demeter preamp, GK 400rb head, and hartke 410xl. i mean, it was killer. it may have been the demeter, but i still think a GK head thru a hartke will sound great. definitely different than other setups, but clean and punchy as hell.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Thanks, captain, I think I'm going to try that out, at Sam Ash, then maybe try it out with an SWR 8x8 at GC.

(The 800RB)

:)

12. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    If the gk is to warm you might try a hartke head. I used a hartke 7000 and a henry 8x8 for years and its a rockin setup. .02

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The 2-15 is a subwoofer (check specs at Hartke site), bad choice.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I used to have a Hartke 3500, it was a little dry for me. (I don't really know a better adjective to use?)

The G-k 800RB was a bit warm for me, with the cabs I was using, then again, the setups were Ampeg and Bag End cabs.

I think I'm going to give it another shot.

Right now, my plan of attack is either Hartke 4x10 (XLT series) or SWR 8x8, with the G-K 800RB.

I want something that's punchy, but not like insanely "in your face."

I'll probably keep the EQ mainly flat, except for boosting the "high mid" to, maybe... 2 o'clock, or so. Possibly give a little cut to my lows, also. (possibly 11 o'clock.)

Right now, I think the Hartke might be a better bad, due to the $$$, and the fact that I'm guessing an 8x8 might be a little too bright for my tastes.

I don't want to click, just get a fairly bright sound... A lot of cabs click more than they actually play... I like the idea that hartke doesn't use tweeters, but the midrange, or whatever it is. :)

I'll try it, and get back to yah.
    Suggestions are always welcome, though. :)

15. Actually, I really think you should try the 8x8 before judging it too bright. Many cabs (Hartke included) use tweeters, and that can give that clicky sound. The 8x8 has a tweeter, but it also has an attenuator, which you can turn down, then turn up the highs a bit on the amp's eq, and you have a nice bright sound that is very smooth and not clicky or scratchy.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

True, but the Hartke 4x10 also has a tweeter control, as nearly all cabs do.

I'm just wondering if the 8x8 is infact too bright, without the tweeter on, at all. I currently don't play with my tweeter on at all, but I don't get exactly the sound I want, with it...

I think I'll try both the SWR 8x8 and the Hartke 4x10. I have a feeling I'm going to go with the 4x10, though. :)

17. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    raise your action and/or improve your fretting technique

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't think I should have to change something, because a handful of select cabs click, except for changing the cabs. ;)

Besides, I'd rather have the coloration of a cab.

19. Hey,
    My GK 400RB into a SWR 4x10 sounds great. I couldn't be happier with it. However, I think we are looking for different sounds. I go for the warm, vintage sound with scooped mids. I use a Warmoth with a '62 reissue PBass pickup.
    Hope that helps you with your decision some.
    Kenan

20. Not to say there's anything wrong with how you play, but the "click" may be attributed to your technique. I find when I get stressed I pluck too hard with my right hand sometimes. I dunno.

Mark