Amp thump/pop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alexander_gbass, Feb 6, 2020.

1. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Endorsing Artist
    Gk backline 600
    Hartke 8ohm 300 watt cab

When powering up the amp, it creates a popping sound, could it just be the power transient ?

Capacitors charging up ?

It also does the same thing when powering down,

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't recall if it applies specifically to your amp (I guess it does), but certain GK amps of a certain era had this issue. There was a technical fix provided to services centers to address it if I'm not mistaken.

I'd give GK a call about it. If it is one of the amps where it's a known issue, they may be able to point you to a certified tech near you that can apply the revision.

alexander_gbass likes this.
  3. alexander_gbass

alexander_gbass

May 5, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Endorsing Artist

I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say , they are here in my state of commiefornia,

(I have reasons why I call it that)

Kro likes this.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Many amps has a switch on pop as the electronics settle and stabilize. Most amps nowadays have a delayed relay to connect the speakers ofter the amp has settled. Power down is similar.

Kro likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021