1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp tips for a newbie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roland777, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Hey there.
    I've been thinking about getting a bass-amp for a little while now, but I know pretty much jack squat about them. Therefore I'm asking you guys which amps you'd recommend. The requirements I have is:
    - Something which will not blow my 500$ maximum budget.
    - Something versatile, as I play, and intend to use it for funk, metal and rock, as well as the occasional jazz-piece.
    - I'd like to buy something hard-hitting yet portable. If it's possible with the budget, I'd like you to recommend a giggable amp. If your suggestion is intended as a practice amp, please stay under 300$.
    - Keep in mind that I live in Sweden, should your suggestion be US-exclusive or anything like that.
    So, in conclusion, I'd just like to ask you to also add a brief review of the amp(s) you might recommend.

Thanks!

P.S: So far, out of the affordable amps I've tested, I really like the L6 LowDown-series. Any input on them?

2. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    First off, forget about the $ for a minute and decide how loud we want to be. You did mention the music you will be playing in, but we need to know how loud you will be, and will PA support be available should you need it. From there, hit the stores, and find the amp/tone that you like. Different amps are voiced differently. MAKE SURE YOU PLAY LOUD. Some amp and cab combos change their sound when played loud. Basstasters.com has sound clips of pre amps. it is a site worth visiting. So when you find your tone, come back here asn ask for reviews. Sorry fella, but your questions are little open. good luck.

3. For $500 the only "giggable" combo amps you'll be able to get will have to be used.

Unless you'll be playing quiet gigs (acoustic, medium volume rock trio's, etc).

As far as sound, there is quite a few small practise amps that can be flexible to the tones you mentioned, just not loud enough to gig with.

--

If you're learning, you may want to pick up a Line 6 Bass POD.

You'll be able to use it later for recording direct (they have several I/O's as well as a D.I. output), it'll have TONS of sounds/tones available, and you can use it with headphones.

--

Otherwise, check out the local pawn shops and used music stores... I completely understand your budget predicament :(

4. ok, stay within your budget, it all great being told to get something bigger but if you can't afford it then you can't afford it.
    the line 6 lowdown is ok, pretty loud too for the money and you should be able to gig with it in small venues otherwise use the line out to a p.a.
    though personally i worry a bit about a 150w amp at that price with som many extras on it, i would rather have the basics and now the speaker and amp are as good as they can be rather than having money put into the extra profiles, just imho.
    there are others that you can pick up around that price which would do too,
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C115300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485032&src=3WFRWXX
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037
    ok a little over your price but still near enough http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hughes-Kettner-Quantum-QC310-Bass-Combo?sku=480106

just a few examples, i'd personally go with the ashdown mag but it's up to you.

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I'm assuming you're saying $500-US.

The SWR workingpro 12 goes for $499 in a lot of places.

200watts

1 x 12"

good enough for parctice as is

another

Ashdown 12-180 or 15-180

180watts

I'm saying combos because I assume that you don't have any amp.

When you buy your first amp, I suggest a combo that will take an extension speaker cab like the two I've suggested so when you gig, you simply add a cab and the amp runs at full power.

6. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    Yes, PA-support will be available, if it's any help. Thanks for the tips so far.

7. At $500, don't be afraid to get a used head and cab!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021