1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amp to Cab vs. Amp to PA (DI)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Oct 1, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Ok, so I love the tone of my GK1001RB-II through my SWR Son of Bertha. But what I've always wondered about, is if my amp going through my cab sounds similar or the same as the DI from the amp to PA? I'm guessing not the same, due to the insane sound of a good system.

Would I be better off miking my cab, and then just using another cab to hear myself with volume attenuation? I also have in-ears, but I'm mainly concerned with the great sound I have and putting out to the PA.

Well, input? Any is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just as a heads-up, this topic has been covered extremely thoroughly several times here. I know it's a hard subject to find good search results for, but regardless you will want to read some of the thousands of posts already written. :)

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Any time you're DI'ing to FOH the sound guy has full control of what the audience hears - unless (1) your on-stage sound is so loud that he doesn't put much (or any) bass in the FOH at all, or (2) he mic's your cab and uses that straight-up or (usually) mixed with DI for the FOH.

What you listen to on stage is up to you. Most bassists I know get their on-stage bass sound primarily through the air from their rig, with perhaps a little reinforcement in the monitor mix if necessary. If you're wearing in-ears, you can put anything you want in there and your rig is really performing no useful purpose whatsoever unless you are also micing it for FOH and/or monitor mix.

It all depends on what you want to hear and how you want to hear it. You've gotta work with the sound guy if you want to mic your cab for FOH. Lots of sound guys would rather not bother.