Amp to compressor coated or uncoated cable?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Langueta, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. Langueta

    Langueta Guest

    Jul 9, 2007
    I was told to use coated cable to connect a gk 1001 rb2 to a dbx compressor, from effects loops...(same type as the ones that connect the bass to the amp)...
    On the contrary, the told to use an uncoated cable to connect the gk to the harttke cabs...
    Is this ok??
  2. TheMutt

    TheMutt Guest

    Apr 28, 2007
    I've never seen an uncoated cable for musical aplications. But no, an "uncoated" cable (by which I am assuming you mean without an outer shield) between the amp and the cabinet would be dangerous. The signal going from the amp to the cab is enough to give you a good shock, and there's the danger of it shorting to something and then there goes your amp.

    What I think the person or persons who incorrectly gave you this advice meant was:

    - Use INSTRUMENT cable (the same as you would between the bass and amp) between the amp's effects loop and the rack compressor.

    - Use SPEAKER cable (NOT, and I repeat NOT the same as instrument cable. This has a thicker gauge than instrument cable and is rated to withstand the higher power that flows through it to the cab.) between the amp and cab.
  3. wvbass

    wvbass Supporting Member

    Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think we just have a little bit of language barrier here. I think the advice the OP got is correct. Substitute the word "shielded" for "coated." Use shielded cables for bass to amp and in the effects loop (instrument cable) and use unshielded cable to connect from power to speakers (speaker cable).

    Different words. Same meaning.
  4. JanusZarate

    JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

    Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Yeah, unshielded cable is the choice for connecting speaker cabinets to amps. If your local guitar shop sells 1/4" cables that are specifically labeled as "speaker cable," then they're unshielded. The ends are usually much larger, and the cable is often a bit thicker than a regular instrument cable.

    As for Speakon cables (the other kind of speaker cable), they're unshielded, and there's no way you can mix those up with 1/4" speaker cables - the plugs are completely different! Personally, I prefer using Speakon whenever possible, but if your Hartke cabs don't have Speakon jacks, then you'll have to stick to 1/4" speaker cables.