1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amp to go with 2x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgshotgun, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mgshotgun

mgshotgun Shooting extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2005
    Leander Tx
    After playing with several different cabs I have finally decided on getting an Avatar B212 Neo cab, but I am having trouble finding an amp that I like that fits into my budget.
    I have about $400 dollars or so to spend on an amp and I will be playing mainly rock with it, but I may also be playing some jazz on it. Is there an amp that sounds good that will fit the budget? Or should I save up some more money and buy a better amp? Any suggetions or imput would be great!

Thanks, Mason

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ashdown. It has great tube sounds for your rock, but is extremely versitle and you can do a jazz gig with it just as easily. The 600R is $550, but there are a few for a bit less $ (although I think its worth the extra $ to upgrade to the Evo series, which has much better tone). Genz Benz and GK also have decent heads in the price range. And Yamaha's head is in the price range too.

3. mgshotgun

Feb 23, 2005
    Leander Tx
    Has anyone tired the MAG series from Ashdown? I've heard that there was some quality issues with some of them. Other than that, the 600R looks like a very good deal. The Evo series has also caught my eye... I guess its time to go to the shop and check those out, has anyone had any experience with these amps?

4. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I like my kustom groovebass 1200 with my 212 avatar. It can be had used around your price range.

5. Depending on how loud you play the mag series (300) ashdown, the gk 400rbiii or rbiv or the 700 rb (or rbii) would be something in your price range that you wouldn't need to sell in 6 months or a year.
    Yorkville has some lower priced heads that get good reviews too.

6. The New Berhinger 4500 head. 450watt Solid State, heaps of power and sounds quite OK for a rock setting. Not the best but cheap enough. Lots of good talk about them considering their price.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    GK 800rb used. Possibly a 1001RB if you can find a deal.

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you are wary of Ashdown because of QC issues, I would not recommend any Behringer product.

What tone are you shooting for? ie: do you want grit for the rock and a warmer sounding tone for jazz, or do you prefer clean sounds all around. How much flexibility in the EQ section do you need?

9. +1
    I just bought the behringer 4500 and also bought the Avatar 210 neo and 212 delta both 8 ohm, I expect both here in a few days. The Head has mixed reviews, some like it, some hate it. I heard a friends behringer when he was playing a gig, the Bass sounded very good. I asked him about it and he gigs with it every weekend and hasnt had a problem. He keeps an extra for backup also.

10. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Doesn't Dave at Avatar do a wicked cheap combo deal on any cab plus a matching MAG head?

11. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    How about a Carvin b800 mono block 429.99 or on carvins ebay store there b500 head for 379.99> I just bought there carvin b1500 I went to there store in Poway any tried one and the new brx neo 210 and 410 fell in love with it good bang for the buck 1900 watts at 2ohms yeah baby!!!!!:hyper:

12. If you're not Peavey-phobic, I'd recommend a Firebass 700 which can be found used for around $300. If the 212 cab is 4 ohms you'd get 475 watts from the head, which would be enough to tide you over. If you want more power in the future, you can add another 4 ohm cab and have a 700 watt rig. Works fantastic for me.

13. mgshotgun

Feb 23, 2005
    Leander Tx
    I usually like the clean sounds all around, but flexibility in the EQ is never a bad thing.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, its time to go to the shop and try some of them out!:bassist: The Kustom amp and the GK amps really intrest me so far, but im going to try out as many of the ones listed as possible. Thanks again!

14. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    I second the Peavey vote. They're great cheap heads. And peavey stuff seems to be indestructable.

For a little more $$, try to find a used Eden 330wt. If your cabinet is 4 ohm, it will sound great.

Matt Pulcinella
    www.mpguitars.com

15. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    EBS HD 350! You will love it.

16. Koiman

Koiman

Aug 19, 2005
    Not trying to mix things up but I've owned the Behringer 4500 for about a year and am quite pleased with it.

17. I would reccomend a 400RB. Those can get most bass sounds and are light and easy to use. Though I have blown them up when using them for 8 hours straight at full volume. I know guys that own vintage SVT heads that use their 400RB more often. 10lbs vs 110lbs?
    I have seen guys get great sound with the little blue Ashdown, so I would think the Mag with 120 more watts would be good too.
    I would caution anyone thinking about Behringer gear. I have seen a lot of it go down at the wrong moment. If its going to sit in a home studio it might be fine but gigged gear tends to get dropped, sprayed with beer, have things fall on it etc. And those Behringer knobs and switches are cheap!
    About Carvin, a buddy lent me his head+4x10 1x18 stack once. It sounded good as a unit but the components sounded terrible with any other brands stuff. So I dont know how good their head would do with your avatar. But it all seemed well built. I second the PV for indestructability,(DDT!) but its not the best for tone. You might also look into Boogie Bass 400 or D180(name?) used on Ebay or a pawn shop. They are heavy heads but sound excellent.