Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp trouble.. has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunkstyle, Nov 14, 2003.

1. chunkstyle

chunkstyle

Nov 14, 2003
    NOLA
    alright, here's my story. we're playing a gig, and after i little while, i'm getting a whole lot of static from ampeg svt3. massive loss of low end and sound in general. after checking multiple instrument chords, i find that:

1. most of our spare cables are duds.

2. something is wrong with either the input jack or the preamp in my amp.

i finish the gig with my bass plugged into the back panel's "power amp in" jack.

now let me tell you. my tone was awesome in this new configuration. i play a modulus quantum 4 with stock emg pickups and 18v emg preamp and my tone was soooo punchy and warm going through my 2 15" svt cabs.

so here's my question. is it advisable to continue gigging in this manner? i love the tone but i'm afraid i might be pushing too much signal directly into my power amp.

i've also been experimenting with my sansamp bass driver pedal. i've been plugging it into the same power amp in jack. it still sounds super good, except it seems to have just the right touch of grind. am i courting danger with this method as well?

i imagine that if i just go ahead and get my amp fixed, it will sound much better than it did right before it went freaky. but that takes time and money, and everything sounds good for now.

what do you all think?

2. heh, I've never even heard of doing that. So I can't help you with that, but ......

You probably just need a new preamp tube.

edit - well, with the sansamp anyhow its just a preamp going to your poweramp, which is what that jack is for. same for the preamp on your bass I imagine. May be some issues with the signal strength. Again, I"m not knowledgable enough to tell you if its going to cause damage.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Get some good cables for sure man. Check your tubes, or replace them all, and make sure that nothing is loose frome you dropping it also.
    :oops: ;)

4. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    live with it till you can get your head fixed.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You will not experience any problems plugging into the power section of your Ampeg! In fact, like you have found out, it will be more natural sounding. The tone of your bass. A lot of people when a problem occures blame it on the tubes right away. I often wonder if the the tube is rarely the problem! I have NEVER had problems with preamp tubes. Only worn out power tubes.

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Should work fine that way....

And if you didn't like the preamp tonality (it is colored, like most Ampegs) you are now avoiding it so that's not a problem.

Original problem sounds like cable or input jack problem.