Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amp trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blunk, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi,

i've been having trouble with my bass amp - it emits a loud hum whenever i turn it on, even with the mute switch turned on.

i left it in to be repaired, the guy in the shop reckons its "gone DC" and will repair some big money to get it fixed, i got more concerned with how much repairs were going to cost cos i'm practically broke and forgot to find out more about what he meant.

anyone know enough about it to maybe hazard a guess?

The only DC i know is Direct Current but i don't know anything beyond that electronics wise, i will in future though.

guys in the army have to know their gun inside out, i should get to know my gear like wise in future!

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    that hum is an AC signal but not an instrument (AC) induced signal. It seems there may be a shorted component passing a 60hz cycle . If mr. repairman said it'd be expensive, he may be covering himself. It may only be one bad component or a bad part may have took out many more parts. An estimate may cost $25 or so(free if your lucky). I would halt repairs if $$ exceed half the value of the working amp.

3. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks for the info...i hope there's nothing seriously wrong with my amp - i'm screwed if the repairs cost loads, and even more so if i can't afford it.

might see if the guys in the band would help me out with some cash to get it repaired if i can't afford it :-/

thanks again...and everyone say a few prayers for my amp!

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    If you can still get any sound out of it just unload it on Ebay. That's where most gear like this ends up. Then pick up something else. :D That was just a joke. I have to say that because there are people on this forum who are a little dense or they wear their rubber underwear a little too tight. Seriously now, I would ask the repairman how much he would charge to give you a definite diagnosis and and an estimate. Those open ended repair problems can be kind of spendy sometimes. You can weigh the cost of the repairs against the value of the amp. It might be better to junk it and get something else. What sort of amp are we talking about?

5. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    The repair guy said he'd call me first thing on monday morning with the full details of the problem and whatever else is the story - its a free diagnosis :)

its a Fender Bassman 100w - about 2 1/2 years old (i bought it brand new) at this stage.

i used money i'd saved up from my 21st birthday (everyone...awwwwwww! :p )...god job i didn't go with my 1st option which was a 330w trace elliot cabinet :p

it cost me 850 euro (or it may have been £'s i can't remember when the changeover was exactly!)

the bassman meant i could get a good amp and use the extra cash for good leads, strings and a case so it was a bargain really.

To be honest, i was considering trading it in for something with more punch but smaller in size, we play bars so there's no need for a big rig - a mate has a wonderful 200w trace elliot that's 1/2 the size of the bassman i have.

if anyone knows the bassman series, what do you think of them?